Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Time preferences determining the interest rate

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
18 Posts
Points 525
Ovah posted on Tue, Feb 21 2012 4:49 PM

So there is something I don't fully understand yet. Its of course logical that if people began valuing future consumption more than prev. (and present consumption less) then they would save more (consume less), which would make interest rates go up.

So that would mean that all savings in the country would increase the suply of money.

However I dont fully understand what "counts" as savings. Assuming that we have a 100% reserve requirement for banks, does it count as savings if people pay banks to store their gold? Since those money can't be relend this doesn't add to the suply of money (?), and hence doesn't affect interest rates.

That would mean that the the real savings = the amount people directly invest in bonds/equities (?).

Am I right, or do I miss something here?

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

You're missing a few things.

Ovah:
Its of course logical that if people began valuing future consumption more than prev. (and present consumption less) then they would save more (consume less), which would make interest rates go up.

Other way around.  Think about it.  If people save more, that means there's more money available to be lent out...that is, the supply has increased...thus meaning the price (i.e. interest rate) would go down.

So that would mean that all savings in the country would increase the suply of money.

How did you get to that?

However I dont fully understand what "counts" as savings. Assuming that we have a 100% reserve requirement for banks, does it count as savings if people pay banks to store their gold? Since those money can't be relend this doesn't add to the suply of money (?), and hence doesn't affect interest rates.

If you pay a bank a fee for storing something, it's just that...a fee.  That's not your money anymore.  That's their money.  They earned it.  Would you consider it "saving" $100 every month because that's what you pay Public Storage every 30 days for providing you a unit to keep your boat in?

That would mean that the the real savings = the amount people directly invest in bonds/equities (?).

Here's a couple of articles that address "saving" that might help:

Saving Versus Hoarding

The Form of Saving Matters

Also, for more info on interest rates, check out this recent thread.  There's plenty in there that will probably help.

P.S.

Welcome to the forum!  Be sure to beginner's thread.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
18 Posts
Points 525
Ovah replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 5:03 PM
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
18 Posts
Points 525
Ovah replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 5:23 PM

Sorry I of course meant that interest rate would go down if savings increased. :)

This sentence "So that would mean that all savings in the country would increase the suply of money", obv. makes no sense. No idea what I was thinking.

Anyway gonna check out articles.

Not Ranked
18 Posts
Points 525
Ovah replied on Tue, Feb 21 2012 5:59 PM
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

Again, check out the beginner's thread.  You'll learn some valuable things, like how to prevent the blank posts like that.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS