Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The invention fo the internet

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
58 Posts
Points 1,380
caulds989 posted on Tue, Feb 28 2012 2:49 PM

here we go. I know I am going t get attacked relentlessly for even asking the damn question but I want to know. I am an Ancap so I am going to come right out at say this is a subject I am ignorant on and I am just looking for the libertarian side of the coin. Here we go. I am not challenging you all just seeking info.

Ok, I have always heard that the internet is the invention of the US military. It is arguably the most important intervention since, say, the printing press or the refridgerator. Given these "facts", if the government is only capable of waste and death, how was it able to come up with such an amazing invention as the internet before the markets were able to. Again, maybe they weren't first, I don't know. Just wanted input from others wh may know a little more on the subject than I do.

thanks 

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845
Suggested by FascistSoup

This is a common one.

1) The importance of the Internet is exaggerated - it is really computation that is the modern miracle, not electrical networking which had been around at least since the time of Samuel B. Morse. What makes the Internet different from telephones is what's hooked up at the ends (computers), not what's in between them.

2) The topology of the internet is fairly obvious. You can either have a single hub into which all traffic is sent and re-sent (obviously inefficient over any sort of large geography) or you can have some kind of peer-to-peer relay system.

3) Data packets also were not invented by ARPANet, the building blocks of networking had been in use for a long time.

4) The government can claim to be the "first" to do a lot of things because they overinvest in all kinds of research, the vast majority of which goes to complete waste. This is not an argument in favor of government funded R&D.

5) What really makes the Internet valuable is the content of the Web. The military has nothing to do with this content and did not invent or foresee the Web.

So, basically, ARPANet was the first WAN. All the ingredients for it (computation, networking, packet communication) were already present. It was first because the military has a lot of money and wastes it on all sorts of R&D projects, most of which come to nothing. The value of the Internet lies in the content (the Web), which the military did not invent or even foresee. The only question left is... who cares? Why are we talking about this?

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
58 Posts
Points 1,380

The reason I care is because I have heard this used as an argument from statists that the internet was created by the government which "proves" the government is capable of creating amazing things. I figured it was going to be some over-investment into R&D that finally resulted in the internet and that entrepreneurs were mostly responsible for it. Why do you care why I care? Aren't there many reasons why people post on these forums? Thanks for the response.  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845

The reason I care is because I have heard this used as an argument from statists that the internet was created by the government which "proves" the government is capable of creating amazing things.

I understand that - I was speaking rhetorically to your "friend" who was asking the question to begin with.

Clayton -

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,289 Posts
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Tue, Feb 28 2012 4:15 PM

Governments also sent people to Moon first before the market (and I doubt market would have wasted money for such trips at least up until 2100. So it's not who did it first what's important, but who used his legitimately earned money to do something that people valued to pay for voluntarily. Internet would be invented anyway in this age or a later age. Just like people would go to space anyway in this age or after 2100.. who cares. Not me. I care about not beinmg robbed only by thugs.

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845

+1 MaikU!

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

MaikU:
Governments also send people to Moon first before the market (and I doubt market would have wasted money for such trips at least up until 2100. So it's not who did it first what's important, but who used his legitimately earned money to do something that people valued to pay for voluntatrily. Internet would be invented anyway in this age or a later age. Just like people would go to space anyway in this age or after 2100.. who cares. Not me. I care about not beinmg robbed only by thugs.

Yeah, I went into this in the selected answer here.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845

Moonshot... the ultimate in Keynesian pyramid-building. Remember, kids:

Top 75 Contributor
1,010 Posts
Points 17,405

caulds989:
The reason I care is because I have heard this used as an argument from statists that the internet was created by the government which "proves" the government is capable of creating amazing things. I figured it was going to be some over-investment into R&D that finally resulted in the internet and that entrepreneurs were mostly responsible for it. Why do you care why I care? Aren't there many reasons why people post on these forums? Thanks for the response.

Of course the government is capable of creting amazing things. Just look at the Stalinist art in Moscows subways: it is very pretty. Free market economists aren't saying that the government isn't capable of creating amazing things at all, we are saying that it does so at too high a cost. The market could have done more with fewer resources.

If the government spends big percentages of GDP year after year on research, it'll eventually come up with something. And then people go "ha! government created something useful, so government R&D must be beneficial". Problem is, we don't know what the free market would have done with those resources, probably more.

Btw. government also developed nukes and machine guns. So even if it were completely without opportunity cost, are we really better off with government research?

This one is a good view on the subject.

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,289 Posts
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Tue, Feb 28 2012 6:17 PM

John James:

MaikU:
Governments also send people to Moon first before the market (and I doubt market would have wasted money for such trips at least up until 2100. So it's not who did it first what's important, but who used his legitimately earned money to do something that people valued to pay for voluntatrily. Internet would be invented anyway in this age or a later age. Just like people would go to space anyway in this age or after 2100.. who cares. Not me. I care about not beinmg robbed only by thugs.

Yeah, I went into this in the selected answer here.

I got back from work. As usual opened mises threads I liked in multiple tabs. Left to eat. Went back. Wrote my answers to important threads. Clicked submit. Shit tons of way better answers before mine. :) Happens everytime.

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

MaikU:
I got back from work. As usual opened mises threads I liked in multiple tabs. Left to eat. Went back. Wrote my answers to important threads. Clicked submit. Shit tons of way better answers before mine. :) Happens everytime.

...in your defense though, my post was made 6 months ago.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS