Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

David Cameron - hardcore Misesian

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 99
Points 3,540
aervew Posted: Mon, Mar 19 2012 4:54 AM

Now in addition to the massive spending cuts, it appears he wants to go all the way and privatize the roads. So i think he is our ally and we must use this crucial information to spread Misesian propaganda to support the cause. Thoughts? This is a massive development in all regards.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17423693

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

I don't quite see how playing lip service to (alleged) "massive" spending cuts and privatization of roads all of a sudden equates to "hardcore Misesian" and "ally".

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 99
Points 3,540
aervew replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 5:16 AM

Hey - Even Ron Paul keeps his mouth shut when it comes to privatization of roads. The fact that Cameron has the guts to talk about what is usually a taboo subject while in power and capability to do something shows his ideological conviction - a Misesian.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,209
Points 35,645
Merlin replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 5:19 AM

If people are forced to do something out of necessity, we can hardly treat them as if they acted out of conviction. Paying taxes to finance some state charity is not the same as being charitable. It’s something you do because you cannot do much else.

Anyways, the policy itself is to be applauded.

The Regression theorem is a memetic equivalent of the Theory of Evolution. To say that the former precludes the free emergence of fiat currencies makes no more sense that to hold that the latter precludes the natural emergence of multicellular organisms.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

aervew:
Hey - Even Ron Paul keeps his mouth shut when it comes to privatization of roads.

a) Please show me where the subject has come up and Ron Paul has gone mum.

b) He has much more pressing matters to be talking about (pressing both in the sense of impact on human life, as well as pressing in the sense of priority concerns of the electorate.)

The fact that Cameron has the guts to talk about what is usually a taboo subject while in power and capability to do something shows his ideological conviction - a Misesian.

So now a "Misesian" is anyone who shows ideological conviction?  Seriously?

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 814
Points 14,875

Cameron's a social democrat. All the alledged cuts are merely cuts in the growth of government expenditure. Also the expansionary monetary policy is tacitily supported by him as well along with the green (red) agenda.The plan to allow more private investment and tolls is a piecemeal solution and could in fact lead to tolling of the whole road system whilst retaining government ownership. i.e fleecing the motorist even more.

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 9:25 AM

he is our ally

I didn't realize you called yourself a Misesian.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

Yeah right, a social democrat that has or wants to:

• Throw people with cancer off disability benefits
  • Force unemployed youth to work for no pay under the guise of "work experience"
  • Privatise roads and police stations
  • Dismantle the NHS
  • Alter the employment laws so that it is almost impossible to claim unfair dismissal
  • Force single mothers to pay a fee before the authorities will chase an absent father for child support payments
  • Close almost every citizen's advice bureau
  • Abolish the Educational Support Allowance so that kids from poorer backgrounds are more likely to have to drop out of school
  • Triple university tuition fees to £9000 a year
  • Evict the families of convicted criminals from their homes, even if the families had nowt to do with the crime committed
  • Use prison labour for the generation of profit
  • Freeze the minimum wage for under 20's

And this is just off the top of my head. Whatever the man is, he certainly is not a social democrat.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 10:08 AM

Force unemployed youth to work for no pay under the guise of "work experience"

Idk, that was sort of what work brigades were under Soviet rule, isn't it? Seems like a disrespect for private property rights.

Triple university tuition fees to £9000 a year

He wants the state to mess with education. How is that pro-market?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Points 11,275

Who mentioned 'pro-market'? Is anyone that isn't a full-on libertarian a social democrat? Words have meanings, you know. Why not use them properly?

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 28
Points 755

From everything I've read, David Cameron doesn't seem like anybody to admire. However, here's an interesting video of a British member of Pariliament -- his name is Douglas Carswell -- advocating a system of 100% reserves which is pretty great. I don't know what he's like on any of the other issues, but perhaps he's good. It's not often you hear anyone in government advocating 100% reserves. Here's the video (there are Spanish subtitles--I saw it on miseshispano.org):

http://youtu.be/hHaZpHcq780

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135
John James replied on Mon, Mar 19 2012 11:04 AM

I think Nigel Farage and Daniel Hannan are the closest thing we've got in Britain.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS