Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Zimmerman Telegram

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,133
Points 20,435
Jargon Posted: Tue, Apr 10 2012 8:32 PM

Does anyone have any good articles about this thing? I'm seriously inclined to believe that it's a fraud. Germans ally with Mexicans? To invade the U.S.? It's so preposterous and it gave American Industrialists and British soldiers exactly what they wanted, when the American public wanted nothing of it. Apparently the 'authentic' Zimmerman Telegram was only just released in 2005. Why would it take them so long to be able to release it? I haven't been able to find much on google. I was hoping that there might be a more in depth review of british intelligence at this time and connections with americans. It just stinks way too much and that the document was only just released is too much for me to accept as truth.

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 50
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 659
Points 13,305
Gero replied on Tue, Apr 10 2012 8:52 PM

Don’t make claims like something being found in 2005 and then the reader either has to ask you to provide the link or has to find it. I assume you mean this Telegraph article. For a thorough understanding of the Zimmerman Telegram, I recommend the Cryptologic Quarterly article on the NSA website.

Preposterous strategies have been pursued in war. A bad strategy is not a sign of fraud. It's a sign of human error. Moreover, if your read the second sentence of the Zimmerman Telegram, on the NSA website, it shows the Germans only wanted Mexican help IF the U.S. got involved in WWI.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

Germany had lots of Catholic allies in the wars.  Look at South America or Rome.  Pursuing a Mexican alliance would make sense if Germany was trying to tie up American resources away from the crucial battlefields.

Look up "Operation Mincemeat."

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 76
Points 1,215
gamma_rat replied on Thu, Apr 12 2012 12:07 PM

Mexico was in a state of civil war between 1910 and 1924.  The President in Mexico City at the time, one Venustiano Carranza - who supposedly received this telegram - was fighting against one Victoriano Huerta, who was being aided and supplied by Germany.

The US Army actually invaded Mexico in 1914 to prevent Huerta's forces from being resupplied by Germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_occupation_of_Veracruz

Germany was trying to add fuel to the fire burning in Mexico so that sending the US Army overseas would have been even more politically difficult.  They were trying to keep the Eye of Sauron fixed on the Rio Grande.  America's intervention in WW1 was not a universally popular move at home by any stretch of the imagination, and it would be even less popular considering the chaos in Mexico that was spilling over into southern border states like Texas at the time.  (De ja vu, hey...)

The Mexican government under Carranza was fighting against internal enemies aided by Germany, and was being supported by the United States.

Ask yourself this.  If you were Commander-in-Chief, and you received reliable intelligence that Mexico was about to invade the United States, would your first reaction be to send the Army to France?

"The history of the world is the history of the triumph of the heartless over the mindless." - Sir Humphrey Appleby
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS