Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Subsidize College/Debt Bubble?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
20 Posts
Points 640
MDay1985 posted on Sat, Apr 14 2012 3:30 PM

I received a scholarship for both my BA and MA, so this is a bit of tough pill for me to swallow, but after reading this article, it makes sense to me. It seems this is another case of good intentions leading to disaterous results.

I've also been hearing that the "college debt bubble" is going to bust soon, which could lead to another recession. Anybody have any thoughts on this?

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Not Ranked
20 Posts
Points 640

That article by Gary North made a good point. It can't be a bubble because it looks like we will continue to throw dollars at it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
1,010 Posts
Points 17,405

MDay1985:
It seems this is another case of good intentions leading to disaterous results.

Not really, that is the intention. Keeping education scarce and a privilege of the rich. We wouldn't want those dirty poor kids to outperform the children of the elite by getting cheap education, would we?

MDay1985:
Anybody have any thoughts on this?

Yes. Separation of school and state. Let everyone finance their education by selling shares of their future income.

"They all look upon progressing material improvement as upon a self-acting process." - Ludwig von Mises
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
2,360 Posts
Points 43,785
z1235 replied on Sat, Apr 14 2012 4:56 PM

EmperorNero:

Let everyone finance their education by selling shares of their future income.

I had a thread (albeit not very well accepted) on this a while ago. I still think it's a very good idea.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

MDay1985:
That article by Gary North made a good point. It can't be a bubble because it looks like we will continue to throw dollars at it.

Literally just found these:

The Bubble in For-Profit Schooling

Why Law School Costs So Much

The Education Bubble Is Fuel for Revolt

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS