Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Products "Made in the World"

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Male
3 Posts
Points 50
Matthew Weber posted on Mon, Jun 11 2012 3:16 PM

I'm all for free trade, but I also see nothing wrong with taking pride in American-made products and craftmanship. I buy cheap foreign goods to save money, but might also buy a slightly more expensive tool if I know it's made in my home country to better standards than, say, a cheap Chinese drill bit and I like the idea of doing a small part to keep people employed during this time of national economic malaise. It's really not that deep of an issue to me, but I do generally oppose any regulation that would impede anyone from doing anything (selling anywhere) that doesn't infringe on another's rights.

That being said, I believe this new WTO campaign is plain dumb. "Made in the World...." What the hell? Where else would it be made? The use of this label would effectively mute claims of "Made in USA," "Made in Austria", or anything similar, while providing no additional information whatsoever to the consumer. So it seems to me like nothing but a means to stifle speech, and as such I think the idea should whither and die.

What do y'all think?

Here's the link to the story I read:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2012/06/wto-wants-to-replace-made-in-the-usa-with-made-in-the-world-labels/

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

Is there anything that has to do with the WTO that isn't stupid?

Mexican made Fenders aren't the same as American made Fenders.  Their "MitW" sticker campaign will obfuscate things if people aren't observant.

This is what we get with world government.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS