Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Countries that abandoned the gold standard recovered faster during the Great Depression

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 22 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
183 Posts
Points 3,740
EmbraceLiberty posted on Wed, Jun 13 2012 1:52 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaS-vwZ77x8

6:02

Can anyone debunk this?

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,687 Posts
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Wed, Jun 13 2012 2:01 PM

The US had several Panics while on the Gold Standard prior to 1929 and never had experienced anything like the Depression.  The closest to the Depression was the Recession of 1920 to 1921 in the aftermath of the human disaster of WW1.  This little incident was almost as bad as 1929 yet the USA recovered in under 2 years to go into the Roaring 20s.

What these videos don't talk about is that the USA had periods on and off the Gold Standard when economy was much smaller, less diverse and had worse communication systems and yet with all of that the country still never experienced anything like the Depression.

Keep in mind that the Depression went from Oct 1929 to Nov 1953 (24 years) when the Dow Jones finally reached its 1929 high.  Consider how poorly that is when the USA created vast amounts of currency during WW2.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
57 Posts
Points 1,665
Austen replied on Mon, Jul 23 2012 4:13 PM

This post deserves more answers.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135
Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaS-vwZ77x8

6:02

Can anyone debunk this?

Inflation doesn't "grow" the economy, but it can yield, for most, a satisfactory redistribution of the 'weights' of the patterns.  Meaning that more money will go to different places.  Schiff is right when he says 'legitimate growth' or 'production' are limited in the U.S. due to the colossal amount of foreign produced goods consumed here (imports).  But inflation will 'grow' the economy in the sense that it changes the patterns of consumption (and their proportions) which, in  a world where the U.S. produced anything, cause more production.

Keynesianism made more sense in a not-quite-so globalized economy.  But the planners don't have any other universal justification for social engineering and credit monopolization.

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
183 Posts
Points 3,740

I understand, yet it doesn't really clarify why countries that threw away the gold standard did better. Sure, it might have changed consumption patterns but is that enough to increase overall performance?

Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

Well, it does explain why inflationary countries got out of the depression quicker...They printed money; they increased velocity; they shifted patterns to a quicker "cycle" than they otherwise would have formed.

Top 150 Contributor
539 Posts
Points 11,275

Keep in mind that the Depression went from Oct 1929 to Nov 1953 (24 years) when the Dow Jones finally reached its 1929 high.  Consider how poorly that is when the USA created vast amounts of currency during WW2.

Just out of interest, why do you define the depression in relation to the DJ as opposed to other markers? And doing so, what is your explanation for the period between the mid-60's and the mid-90's when there was an even longer period of apparent depression?

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

EmbraceLiberty:
I understand, yet it doesn't really clarify why countries that threw away the gold standard did better.

The Earlier You Abandon The GOLD STANDARD and Start Your NEW DEAL, the Better

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760

It was a short term fix. Look at where we are now with fiat money.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,687 Posts
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 1:15 PM

My reasoning is two fold:

1. The start of the Depression was a drop in the Dow Jones from its 1929 high not when the interventions of Hoover and FDR sent the markets down even further and completely disrupted the economy.  If the drop identified the start then reaching that level should also signify the end.  Otherwise you could have any even/statistic be the end which seemed to me to be inconsistent.

2. This Dow Jones is the best measure of private savings and private equity I know of, if you have another that is more accurate then please suggest it. 

I do not believe that 1946 or when ever employment picked up is a reliable indicator of the end of the Depression as the govenrment was in the process of relinquishing control of the economy.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,113 Posts
Points 60,515
Esuric replied on Tue, Jul 24 2012 1:30 PM

There's no doubt that the inter-war gold-standard was the primary cause of the great depression and abandoning it was the correct move. The problem, of course, is that what took its place turned out to be even worse.

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,687 Posts
Points 48,995

Schiff is right when he says 'legitimate growth' or 'production' are limited in the U.S. due to the colossal amount of foreign produced goods consumed here (imports).

So, should the citizens of San Diego stop importing much of their goods from other parts of the United States?  Should people gradually become more autarkic?  I've never been impressed by Shiff's argument against the export of manufacturing.

Top 500 Contributor
163 Posts
Points 3,650

So, should the citizens of San Diego stop importing much of their goods from other parts of the United States?  Should people gradually become more autarkic?  I've never been impressed by Shiff's argument against the export of manufacturing.

Could he mean some goods (manufacturing capital) but not others?

Top 75 Contributor
1,612 Posts
Points 29,515

Schiff is right when he says 'legitimate growth' or 'production' are limited in the U.S. due to the colossal amount of foreign produced goods consumed here (imports).

Umm, if people are in SD are importing things from the other parts of the U.S., this is domestic.  Schiff and I explicitly state foreign imports as the cause of the weakening of domestic production.

Mercantilism has its plusses in a pragmatic statist world.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS