Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

The Booth at the End

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy Posted: Tue, Aug 7 2012 1:51 PM

Here's a TV show that I feel has a lot of Austrian undertones, for while the show is not very libertarian it emphasizes the role of individual human choice, means, and motivation. The setup of the show is this:

In an small diner, in an unspecified city, there is a man sitting in a booth. People come to him with problems. The man will then make them a very specific deal, and he will tell them that if they perform a certain action that there desire will be fulfilled. Sometimes the task is horrible, sometimes it is quite nice, it is always something that people are very uncomfortable doing. The man will give them practically no advice, the man will make no judgments, the man will not assure them of what will happen if they do not perform the task, the other party is free to back out of the deal at any time. We know barely anything about the man, we do not know how he knows what he knows or whether or not he has anything to do with the outcome of events, or if he simply knows how certain things relate to one another. The entire show consists of conversations between the man and his associates surrounding either the deal or what has happened within the diner.

There are many sub-themes of the show are: what ends people do to get what they want, what means will people do to achieve these ends, what things people do want, the interconnected nature of human society, and limited nature of human knowledge. In short the entire show is, in its own way, an investigation into applied praxeology and economics, more so than most other shows because it focuses upon means, ends, and consequences of many different acting, living human beings as much as anything else.

The show is currently available on Hulu and is airing new episodes of season 2 every monday. It's a short show and can be watched in about 3 hours as there are currently only 6 episodes. It's by no means a great show, and it lacks some degree of snare to keep you avidly watching, but it is certainly a quality one and it is certainly amusing if you like thought provoking entertainment.

http://www.hulu.com/the-booth-at-the-end

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

I'm enjoying it. I actually have recognized 3 of the clients so far from other tv shows. Didn't expect that because it's such a low budget show.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

Apparently starring Jeffrey Tucker:

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Tue, Aug 7 2012 5:42 PM

Wow, you're right...

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110

I thought that too, but then I saw that the man at the booth does not wear bow ties. Can't be him. wink

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

C'mon guys..... No bow-tie. Do you think they could digitally remove that on their budget?

wink

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

His alter ego? Subliminal Austrian economics?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 7,105
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

>>Subliminal Austrian economics?

Reminds me ! I was curious about the possible effects when Pixar made that wonderful film featuring Murray Rothbard and all those balloons

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS