Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Are time preference value scales independent of the rate of interest?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,255 Posts
Points 36,010
William posted on Thu, Aug 16 2012 12:08 PM

Carlos asks:

Hi all,

I'm concerned about the possible instability of time-preference schedules in the PTPT, v.g. as described in section "Time Preference and Individual Value Scales" of MES. My point is that man valuates money in hand against future money, but the valuation of money itself depends on relative prices. In the process of constructing an interest-rate -> savings schedule the rate of interest must of course vary, and with it relative prices do also. So is the initially proposed value scale really unaffected by the change in the interest rate? Should we assume that ad hoc or can a monotonic relationship be derived only from praxeological axioms?

Notice that this is not related to the CCC critique of circularity in the measurement of aggregate capital, I understand PTPT is not guilty of the charges raised by Joan Robinson against the neoclassical theory of capital.

Regards
--
Carlos

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
  • | Post Points: 5

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,255 Posts
Points 36,010
William replied on Thu, Aug 16 2012 12:10 PM

Sorry Carlos,

your post was sandwiched between a lot of spam and accidently got deleted in the crossfire.  Here it is copy and pasted.

"I am not an ego along with other egos, but the sole ego: I am unique. Hence my wants too are unique, and my deeds; in short, everything about me is unique" Max Stirner
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS