Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Hi

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 135
Vampiro Posted: Fri, Aug 24 2012 5:50 PM

Hi all,

I'm new around here.  I enjoy learning about economics.  Prior to getting seriously involved in economics I did read some Keynes, Marx, and so on.  What really sparked my interest in economics was Milton Friedman.  After reading and studying his works  I found myself disagreeing with Friedman on many issues.  One person said I sounded like Rothbard.  

......"Rothbard?  Who the hell is Rothbard?" I said.  Well, I ordered a book of his and found out just who Mr. Rothbard was.  I found his work logical, and couldn't argue against most of what had been written.  From then on I ordered books from Hazlet, Bastiat, and Mises.  Again, great works by great economists.  How was it I held many Austrian views before even reading any of the works of Mises, Rothbard and so on?  There are probably many individuals whom ask the same question.  

Well, I do have Milton Friedman to thank for my change in direction away from his school of thought and toward the study of Austrian Economics.  I am also thankful to Rothbard, Bastiat, Mises, Hazlitt, Murphy, Woods and many more for offering such logical works, along with the strikingly accurate predictions that have been made throughout economic history. 

It really is amazing how Austrian Economics is not "mainstream economics".  It's funny, individuals whom are Keynesians have been wrong on so many accounts, and have helped cause upsets and collapses of many economies yet instead of abandoning the teachings from Law, Keynes, et al....they have even come up with the "New Keynesians".  No matter how many coats of gold paint you apply to a rusted and rotted piece of steel, underneath it still is a rusted and rotted piece of steel.       

Look forward to learning much more.  Thanks. 

devil

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Welcome to the forum!  Be sure to check The Ultimate Beginner meta-thread for resources on a wide range of topics to aid your learning and answer questions.  And the welcome thread (linked there) offers forum tips and how-to's.

You'll also find other threads where individuals such as yourself have shared their own journey smiley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 8:13 PM

Welcome

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 8:29 PM

Great to have ya. Do not hesitate to ask about anything and everything. And to disagree when needed.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 135
Vampiro replied on Sat, Aug 25 2012 11:00 AM

Thanks all for the welcome.  cool

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS