Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What do you like the most/least of the market?

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 366
Points 7,345
Fephisto Posted: Sun, Jul 20 2008 1:09 PM

What aspect/product/concept/thing do you like (or hate) the most about the free market?

I'm going to have to say I rather like the pencils.

Latest Projects

"Even when leftists talk about discrimination and sexism, they're damn well talking about the results of the economic system" ~Neodoxy

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I hate the trashy "art"/entertainment that appeals to the mass of consumers. Not to my taste, at all. Infotainment irks me too. And I hate salespeople who think they need to be pushy and forward to get me to buy something. All they do is grate on my nerves, to the point that I walk right past them. What I like best about the market, is that it caters even to the most obscure tastes, like quite a few I have.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 515
Points 8,495
fsk replied on Mon, Jul 21 2008 9:23 AM

Fephisto:
What aspect/product/concept/thing do you like (or hate) the most about the free market?

The aspect I like the least about the "free" market is government.  All the criticisms of the market are ultimately caused by government, if you carefully trace the details.

The best aspects of the current economy are computers and the Internet.  Computer games help train people's logical thinking skills.  The Internet is enabling people to communicate in ways that were previously impossible.

I have my own blog at FSK's Guide to Reality. Let me know if you like it.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 946
Points 15,410
MacFall replied on Wed, Jul 23 2008 5:53 PM

Jon Irenicus:

I hate the trashy "art"/entertainment that appeals to the mass of consumers.

This. But I wouldn't call that a market phenomenon - at least the prevelance of it in mainstream culture. The huge, pushy media cartels that generate "quantity over quality" entertainment would not have a very large role in a free market.

The thing that I like the most about the market is the fact that people get along peacefully like mature adults, rather than spoiled rotten kids screaming for the guys with guns and badges to give them what they want.

Pro Christo et Libertate integre!

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 56
Points 925
Stanislaw replied on Wed, Jul 23 2008 9:08 PM

I hate the market for being so damn self-righteous all the time;)

Polish Ludwig von Mises Institute

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 946
Points 15,410
MacFall replied on Wed, Jul 23 2008 9:18 PM

As if the government isn't self righteous. >_>

Pro Christo et Libertate integre!

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I'm with Jon, I definitely enjoy that the market increasingly provides for the long tail of obscure tastes.  What is even more amazing, is that the market is constantly expanding the realm of what is long tail, by providing, in quantity, more of the obscure tastes, driving down cost and increasing availability until they become part of the mainstream and pushing the boundaries of what is obscure further out (the chase for new experiences).

Sushi.  Heavy Metal.  MMORPG.  Scaling K2.

The downside to the market, is that it is horrible at self-promotion.  All sorts of black suited fratboys in government offices take credit for the bounty, and the market never interrupts them and stands up for itself.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS