Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Rockwell a Minarchist?

rated by 0 users
This post has 106 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Byzantine:
if you believe we're all just individuals?

Why do YOU PEOPLE keep talking about individuals!?  Stick out tongue

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 523
Points 8,850
Solredime replied on Wed, Jul 23 2008 1:02 PM

Byzantine:

Well, let's see what's meant.  What is a "Russian?"

If I move to Russia, learn the Russian language, and drink vodka, does that make me a "Russian?"

I think what he meant by those labels was the nationalities of his ancestors, but I agree using labels such as this becomes confusing. I've always had trouble labeling myself when asked by others of my nationality, so I try to avoid it :p

Btw, BP do you speak Russian?

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,056
Points 78,245

Byzantine:

Brainpolice:
That objection was addressed in an edit to the post. They are convenient labels, vague generalities and I don't particularly attach much significance to them. They're just convenient for the purposes of communication. The objection is semantic or nitpicky. You know what's meant.

If I move to Russia, learn the Russian language, and drink vodka, does that make me a "Russian?"

All it means is either (1) someone happens to live within the territory that is commonly labeled "Russia" or (2) someone happens to be descended from people who lived within the territory that is commonly labeled "Russia". Other than that, I attach no real significance to it.

I dunno, if someone moves to "America", learns English, and eats apple pie, does that make them "American"?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,056
Points 78,245

Fred Furash:

Byzantine:

I think what he meant by those labels was the nationalities of his ancestors, but I agree using labels such as this becomes confusing. I've always had trouble labeling myself when asked by others of my nationality, so I try to avoid it :p

Btw, BP do you speak Russian?

Nope. I'm generationally removed enough to have been raised by English speaking parents. It was my great grandparents on my mother's side who initially immigrated from Russia.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Byzantine:
I denounce your peoplism.

That's ok.  According to some, the free market will abolish people.  We're an endangered species.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,056
Points 78,245

liberty student:

Byzantine:
I denounce your peoplism.

That's ok.  According to some, the free market will abolish people.

No. You're being very disingenous.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Wed, Jul 23 2008 2:42 PM
Byzantine:
You're Jewish and I'm not. Does your genetic exclusivity sicken you? Does it sicken you that there is a discrete Jewish culture that has been vigilantly defended for 5,000 years?
That's so weird. It seems to me that a sizable amount of 'Jewish' people have intermarried for generations with lower life-forms of the aryan variety ? What is, genetically speaking, a 'Jew' ?

The problem with Byzantine's racism, and all racism of course, is that it's sheer nonsense.

. Edit :

Also, Jews are, you know, semites. That is, genetically, they are quite close to the Arabs who live in the Middle East....

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,083
Points 17,700
Niccolò replied on Wed, Jul 23 2008 3:20 PM

Byzantine:

Brainpolice:
That objection was addressed in an edit to the post. They are convenient labels, vague generalities and I don't particularly attach much significance to them. They're just convenient for the purposes of communication. The objection is semantic or nitpicky. You know what's meant.

That depends. Are your biological parents and grandparents ethnically Rus'?

The Origins of Capitalism

And for more periodic bloggings by moi,

Leftlibertarian.org

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 523
Points 8,850
Solredime replied on Wed, Jul 23 2008 3:41 PM

Juan:

Also, Jews are, you know, semites. That is, genetically, they are quite close to the Arabs who live in the Middle East....

That depends, at least in terms of appearance.

Mizrahi jews look a lot like the Arabs in the middle east (I often can't recognize the difference), while Ashkenazi jews look different enough (2000 years of intermarrying with caucasians).

As for genetic composition, I have no idea what significance phenotypes have relative to whatever other genes there are :S

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,056
Points 78,245

*boinks the judeo-bolshevik conspiracy* Cool

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 523
Points 8,850
Solredime replied on Wed, Jul 23 2008 3:44 PM

Brainpolice:

Lol, wasn't Mises Jewish (ethnically anyway)?

Btw, what does Boink mean?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,879
Points 29,735
Bostwick replied on Wed, Jul 23 2008 3:50 PM

Brainpolice:

I consider you people a scar on the face of liberty.

This what intellectual defeat looks like.

Peace

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,056
Points 78,245

JonBostwick:

Brainpolice:

I consider you people a scar on the face of liberty.

This what intellectual defeat looks like.

*boinks the right-wing libberfascists FTW* Geeked

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,056
Points 78,245

Fred Furash:

Brainpolice:

Lol, wasn't Mises Jewish (ethnically anyway)?

Btw, what does Boink mean?

Meh, kind of an absurdly drawn out inside joke.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Wed, Jul 23 2008 4:05 PM
Fred Furash:
Mizrahi jews look a lot like the Arabs in the middle east (I often can't recognize the difference),
So, 'genetically' they are the same race, or almost the same race, right ?
while Ashkenazi jews look different enough (2000 years of intermarrying with caucasians)
Which means that 'genetically' they don't have a lot of 'jewish' genes, correct ?

Still Byzantine believes in something called the jewish race, wich I suppose, includes both Mizrahi & Ashkenazi Jews ? Racist nonsense I say.

Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

It really sickens me that you and Byzantine actually think that inclusive free associations are bad. It's not just state-imposed inclusivity that you oppose, it's cultural or racial mixing altogether or in general that you appear to oppose.

What is wrong with this? I honestly do not get it. You seem almost fanatical in your opposition to it.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,056
Points 78,245

Jon Irenicus:

It really sickens me that you and Byzantine actually think that inclusive free associations are bad. It's not just state-imposed inclusivity that you oppose, it's cultural or racial mixing altogether or in general that you appear to oppose.

What is wrong with this? I honestly do not get it. You seem almost fanatical in your opposition to it.

-Jon

It's irrational and counterproductive.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Well what is irrational about it? As far as I can tell, it's about as irrational as attempting to conserve a green area. Both entail a financial cost, and both satisfy the subject in question. As I've mentioned before, it depends on what level you take it to - total isolation would be devastating, but trading yet living at a distance does not seem to me to involve any level of comparable destitution.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,879
Points 29,735
Bostwick replied on Wed, Jul 23 2008 10:06 PM

Brainpolice:
It's irrational and counterproductive.

Let me know when you start your anti-gambling crusade.

Peace

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Wed, Jul 23 2008 10:13 PM
Jon Irenicus:
Well what is irrational about it?
Racist 'theories' are as rational as polylogism - In a word, racism is nonsense.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 814
Points 14,875

Juan:
Jon Irenicus:
Well what is irrational about it?
Racist 'theories' are as rational as polylogism - In a word, racism is nonsense.

Well not as much nonsense as the term racism itself. I have continually exposed that word as meaning nothing; the only coherent definition of it is you believe one race to be morally inferior to another viz. they deserve less legal rights than yourself. This is accused of defining out of existence but no-one has ever put a contrary definition which stands up to scrutiny.

The atoms tell the atoms so, for I never was or will but atoms forevermore be.

Yours sincerely,

Physiocrat

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Yeah, and of course, they're also irrelevant to what I said.

-Jon

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 258
Points 4,595
majevska replied on Thu, Jul 24 2008 12:24 PM

Juan:
Fred Furash:
Mizrahi jews look a lot like the Arabs in the middle east (I often can't recognize the difference),
So, 'genetically' they are the same race, or almost the same race, right ?
while Ashkenazi jews look different enough (2000 years of intermarrying with caucasians)
Which means that 'genetically' they don't have a lot of 'jewish' genes, correct ?

Still Byzantine believes in something called the jewish race, wich I suppose, includes both Mizrahi & Ashkenazi Jews ? Racist nonsense I say.

Not that this point is really so relevant... but I believe Jews are genetically closest to modern day Iranians; they're practically identical. Of course there is a lot of intermixture and what happened with Ashkenazi is, a good chunk where the children of converts and never had any Jewish blood. Judaism is hard to define, it tries to be a race, religion, nation, etc. all at the same time.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Thu, Jul 24 2008 3:50 PM
Iranians are actually Persians. Their language belongs to the indo-european family and their 'ethnic background' is caucasian.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 34
Points 590

ViennaSausage:

Libertas est Veritas:
Does it matter?

Seriously, I hate these threads. It's kind of like watching a bunch of kids trying to ram a square peg into a round hole. Accept that in reality one's thought processes can't be labeled simply with ancap/minarchist/left/right/up/down.

I hate threads that hate threads;).  (Does that mean I hate my own thread?)

IMHO, it matters to the extent of developing my own understanding of libertarianism and Austrian Economics.  Granted, a label does not necessarily define an individual, but individuals do define labels.  Labels appear useful in the capacity of mental heuristics conveying information.  Labels may appear accurate, but the precision is in the details.  I posited the initial question because Rockwell's cited writing, while eloquent, whispered ancap, but screamed minarchy. 

How about "screamed mini-statism"?

For "understanding" and "TRUTH IN LABELING" about “minarchy”, see the discussion thread that I started on this subject at

http://mises.org/Community/forums/t/1102.aspx?PageIndex=1

Dennis Lee Wilson

NEVER FORGET is available at http://www.cafepress.com/ArtemisZuna

Page 3 of 3 (107 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS