Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

RIP Ronald Hamowy

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 219
Points 3,980
myhumangetsme Posted: Sun, Sep 9 2012 1:56 PM

Surprisingly, I found out about his death not from LewRockwell.com, Mises.org or even lfb.org, but from Bryan Caplan over on EconLib.  He was one of Rothbard's closest friends and one of the original Circle Bastiat, and even though he was not a part of the recent uprising of the liberty movement (unlike Raico and Reisman), his contributions as editor of the New Individualist Review and through his many books helped pave the way for it to happen.

Well done, sir.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 219
Points 3,980

I found that Stephen Cox wrote a lengthy tribute for Hamowy, which includes this gem about Hamowy's brief stint with Ayn Rand:

As one of the young libertarians (Ronald’s friend Murray Rothbard was another) who were invited to her apartment for intellectual discussions, he was cast into oblivion after a difference of opinion about . . . Rachmaninoff. Guests were asked to say who their favorite composers were, and when Rand’s turn came, she said “Rachmaninoff,” with specific reference to his second piano concerto. “Why?” Ronald asked. “Because he was the most rational,” Rand responded. At which Ronald laughed, thinking it must be a joke. He knew that the composer had dedicated that concerto to his psychiatrist — and anyway, rationality had nothing to do with its greatness. But Ronald’s laughter resulted in exile, and the loss of friends who were dear to him.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 219
Points 3,980

Oh, and a Hamowy easter egg, one of his pride and joy projects as an editor.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 430
Points 8,145
MrSchnapps replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 10:09 PM

I have an autographed copy of Hamowy's take on the Canadian medical system, published by the Fraser Institute. My professor was originally his student at the University of Alberta.

Hamowy was pretty bitter about being stuck up in Canada--because of the cold, you see :)

“Remove justice,” St. Augustine asks, “and what are kingdoms but gangs of criminals on a large scale? What are criminal gangs but petty kingdoms?”
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS