Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Coursera - online university.

rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 112
Points 2,025
Anton Posted: Sun, Sep 9 2012 2:08 PM

In the early August I've watched this TED talk  and registered on the https://www.coursera.org/. I was impressed with the variety of topics and courses that one can attend here for free, so I decided to share it with you. I've recently signed up for this History course that seems to be very promising.

(Introduction video that can be accessed once signed up for the course is much more interesting, imo)

That said, does anybody know similar education resources? (Except for Khan Academy :))

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

This and many others (such as Saylor University).

I plan on writing an article about alternatives to state education.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 183
Points 3,740

Do you get college credit?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

I don't think so.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

khanacademy

more high school level though.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 183
Points 3,740

Have you attended Khan?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

It's pretty fun. I like the gamification aspect of it.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

khanacademy.org

http://www.khanacademy.org/library

Ive watched his videos on chemistry, and geometry/agl2, they are pretty good.

yaymath.org is good for highschool mathematics too.

its not really that you have to enroll.

its just a depository for this guys videos on various subjects. you can jsut go on the website watch videos and start learning right away,

its not really structured so you can jump around other places (though you can go thorugh a structured route if you want).

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 112
Points 2,025
Anton replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 3:04 AM

kelvin_silva:

khanacademy.org

Thanks, I used this incredible site to prepare for my finance exams last year (Khan explained backwardation and contango like nobody else in my university) and I watched a couple of history videos, but I haven't visited this site for a long time, mainly because of its orientation on high school material.

@ EmbraceLiberty

As far as I know, no Coursera course offers college credits, but plenty of them award a signed certificate on successful accomplishment, though I see no big value in them.

@ Wheylous

Thanks a lot for suggesting  Saylor University. Have you taken any courses from it?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 8:26 AM

Anton - no, I haven't. But I've looked through a few of them and they seem interesting. Do note that you don't get credits for them, however. Still, if you learn the material you might be able to test out of some classes.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 183
Points 3,740

Wheylous, does Saylor Univ have classes or does it have a format that you could just walk in and learn similar to Khan?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Sep 10 2012 4:55 PM

It's not formal - you don't have to sign up, I don't think. You can just go to the website and see all the course material + homework etc.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS