Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Human Action EPUB Typos

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 444
Points 6,230
Tex2002ans Posted: Thu, Sep 20 2012 3:13 PM

I have been working in my spare time on creating high quality EPUBs of the PDFs hosted on Mises.  I have created ~28 so far (4 of which have been officially accepted to be hosted on Mises).

I spotted this "Book Typos" topic on the forums:

https://mises.org/Community/forums/p/29982/479290.aspx

And decided to implement some of those fixes and release quick fixed EPUB versions.  John James then contacted me via PM, and next thing you know, I got an account at the Mises Wiki.  I have since been working on cleaning/organizing the Wiki, and merging it with all the typos I have found over the months.  The Book Typos page on the Mises Wiki can be found here:

http://wiki.mises.org/wiki/MisesWiki:Typos

While trying to release a quick fix EPUB of Human Action, I noticed a lot more errors than were posted on the Wiki.  I have since expanded the list of errors from 11 to 300+.

To me, to have the magum opus of Ludwig von Mises riddled with so many errors is unacceptable.  Since I have yet to read Human Action (yes yes I know, after 5+ years of Austrian Economics, you would think I would have gotten to it), I have decided to do an extremely thorough reading/fixing of the book.

Since the book is extremely large and dense, I hope that many pairs of eyes can catch more errors than just me.  It might also be a great oppurtunity for others to read Human Action for the first/second/third/nth time.

I will be releasing revised versions until I complete reading the entire book, and will be implementing all the fixes that are other users find that are posted here/on the Wiki.

TL;DR: Fixing up the EPUB version of Human Action, please keep up with my revised/fixed versions and let me know of any errors that are found.

09.20.2012 version of Human Action EPUB:

http://www.mediafire.com/?94tgzcu04u555p7

My long term project to get every PDF into EPUB: Mises Books

EPUB requests/News: (Semi-)Official Mises.org EPUB Release Topic

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 6,953
Points 118,135

Excellent!  Who else is on board?  Even though David Gordon recommends you read it all the way through, I'm sure there's some of you out there who've been looking to tackle a specific section or two.

Have a look at the contents and see which area you've been interested in boning up on and post your section here.  It's okay if sections overlap, as of course the benefit of the wiki is that it's community input, so if you come across an error, you can check to see if it's there...and if it's not, you're the first!  Add it in there!

Anyone who doesn't yet have an account at the wiki feel free to send me a PM with your desired username and I'll be happy to create the account for you.

And even if you don't have an epub reader, you can still read it!  There are multiple free epub readers that you can download.  I use the EpubReader addon for Firefox most often.  Everyone's got a laptop.  Put that thing on your lap and read some Mises!  It's for a good cause!

If you want, we can divide up into sections and everyone can take different pieces.  Who's up for it?  First post, first reserve on sections of the greatest economics book of all time!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 444
Points 6,230

09.21.2012 version of Human Action EPUB:

http://www.mediafire.com/?58cjnw5td0momls

This one has LOTS of fixes with subscripts, more italics fixes, and a few spelling/spacing fixes.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 666
Points 13,120

The book is also available on econlib. I'm not sure if that version has the typos, but you might want to check as it could save you some work.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 444
Points 6,230
Tex2002ans replied on Fri, Sep 21 2012 11:46 PM

Fool on the Hill:

The book is also available on econlib. I'm not sure if that version has the typos, but you might want to check as it could save you some work.

Hmmm thank you.  I am going to be reading Human Action over the coming month/s anyway, but the econlib version may help narrow down errors.

The page numbers in the footnotes definitely don't match eachother, but I will have to run a few more tests comparing the two versions against eachother.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 444
Points 6,230

Fool on the Hill:

Thank you so much for this link.  I was able to compare the Mises.org version with the econlib version, and fix many typos because of it.

From the writing style of Mises, it seems he does not use many punctuation marks at all (mostly noticable with lots of missing commas). The Econlib has much more punctuation, but even MUCH less than I would personally insert.  I will stick with matching the spirit of the current PDF/Physical Mises.org version (barely any commas), but I have lots of personal pages filled with positions in which I believe commas should be added.

Perhaps in a future date, if we release an upgraded edition of his Magnum Opus, all of my punctuation changes will be implemented. :)

I am personally currently in Chapter 16.... and my latest revision was on 03.23.2013.  I will post my latest version as soon as I get my Mediafire account back up and running (suspended due to some DMCA nonsense).  I am in the process of backing up everything in multiple places.  In the mean time, if anyone wants to BADLY read a very fixed up Human Action, please let me know and I can send it to you directly.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS