Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Thoughts on Prop 37?

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 203
Points 5,505
TronCat Posted: Tue, Oct 9 2012 11:45 AM

This is the recent celebrity advertisement for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB1xHFwSYIg&feature=g-all-lik

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 45
Points 655
Marissa replied on Tue, Oct 9 2012 11:50 AM

I can't watch the video but using violence to force a producer to modify their product is not right to me.  What no one seems to be talking about is that producers who don't use GMO products are not allowed to label their products as non-GMO!  The FDA forbids it. 

“When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.” Sherlock Holmes
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

This made me sick. "As celebrities, it's our job to tell everybody what we think and voice our political opinions!"

Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 645

going off of this discription i dont think its a bad thing.  I think its pretty close to fraud what a few companies do by claiming their product is one thing when its something else.  Obviously i dont like government doing anything or making laws. 

This is something that would of EASILY of cured itself on a free market without any regulations.  Since the government has monopoly of defining what is acceptable for businesses to sell the "wal marts" of the world (or any grocery store) arent held liable (*edit for clarification: not really suggesting courts, but from consumer demand and outrage) for carrying products that deceive their customers.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

That's true. I just hate it when every Hollywood liberal out there thinks it's his or her duty to use their celebrity status as a means to promote their stupid causes.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Points 645

SK- oh i agree, i hate the attitude of having a 'right' to know and then say the only way to have that right is through the government! ha!  The right we have is to defend ourselves and in this case against products that some of us might not want.  The FDA is so large that any competing private company that would define acceptable standards or providing information of products to the "wal marts" are unprofitable because of videos like this.  "The government is the only one who can give an unbiased opinion on morality and quality".  Therefore any other opinion is worthless.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 814
Points 16,290

California can't seem to be decentralized enough... it should just diverge itself as soon as it possibly can.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 275
Points 4,000

I support the cause not the principle. But really, it's the only way to get things done the way they are now. When the monsanto types change definitions there's only so much recourse you have... Or go under. It's mostly a really good exposure technique. All the anti-37 corporations have something to hide. They didn't mind putting organic, which doesn't mean organic, but now they have to put GMO on their product.All they've said is that there isn't anything wrong with GMOs so what's the problem? A little piece of text can not possibly be worth the 10s of millions of dollars being thrown at it.

Besides, I never see any tears for the bar operator who has to buy from approved vendors. If it's such an unjustice, they can boycott it or refuse to sell in California same as the rest of us without lobbyists have to do. They fed the monster, let it bite them on the ass.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Here's a good response to the liberal agenda that so many celebrities follow.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS