Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

If “no taxation without representation” were applied...

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 5,000
QuisCustodiet Posted: Sun, Oct 28 2012 11:02 AM

...a lot of people would be off the hook – for the time being, anyway. To name just a few who would, teenagers under age 18, non-citizen immigrants, and tourists. "No taxation without representation" says that if you can vote for your representatives, taxation (or anything else the state requires of you for that matter) is just. If someone accepts that as a premise, they must conclude that these groups of unrepresented people be untaxed on income, sales, property, excises, etc.

Critics might argue, "Yeah but, foreigners choose to come here; I’ve always been here." So you’re saying that by virtue of an unrepresented person living under a given government, they’re consenting to being taxed? Then you’re rejecting the argument of "no taxation without representation"! You're saying anyone who argued that throughout US history (colonists, women, etc.) had no argument because they could have just moved.

Besides, why do foreigners want to come here? to be governed by the government? Is that the only reason you’re still here? Or are you still here so you can be with your family, work a job, and enjoy your private property? Sure, some come here because the government here is better than the one of their homelands. But who needs government when you’ve got markets?! Have you read any Rothbard?! (Yeah, I wouldn’t recommend this segue :P)

Also, what about teenagers? Strike that, not just teenagers. Anyone who wasn’t eligible the vote in the most recent election. If there were "no taxation without representation," you’d have two choices: exempt these people or kick/keep them all out. And when I say them, I mean your teenage kid, too. After all, that kid probably took someone’s job. Damn kids, ruinin' Amurica. We got unemployment here. That, or we could raise the age you can start working to 35 until unemployment drops below 5%. After all, older people were here first! Yreah!!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 11:14 AM

10/10 for finding an inconsistency in statist logic!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,288
Points 22,350

That, or we could raise the age you can start working to 35 until unemployment drops below 5%

What do you think the minimum wage, compulsory schooling, student loan subsidies, and child labour laws are for?  To prevent younger people from competing with and undercutting older people (i.e those already established and entrenched).

Anyway, I think the phrase 'no taxation without representation' should also be reversed: 'no representation without taxation'.  If you want to be party to a body that necessarily confiscates property, it should be your own property at stake, not just other people's.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

What do you think the minimum wage, compulsory schooling, student loan subsidies, and child labour laws are for?  To prevent younger people from competing with and undercutting older people (i.e those already established and entrenched).

Anyway, I think the phrase 'no taxation without representation' should also be reversed: 'no representation without taxation'.  If you want to be party to a body that necessarily confiscates property, it should be your own property at stake, not just other people's.

And youre telling this to a bored 15 year old that does not want to give 5 fucks about school, and wants to launch self into labor force.

But wait! You need college for that, and for college, you need high school.

No one is ever going to take your resume seriously if you don't go to college!

I am now sad.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Oct 28 2012 5:54 PM
Dont go to college unless you know more or less what you want. But do graduate high school. Use this time to develop actual capitalist skills, like peddling on ebay and crafts.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

I want to be a tanker.

THeres no college degree for that.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490
Wheylous replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 10:49 AM

I wanna be a dinosaur.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 257
Points 5,000

Fellas, fellas. This is what Halloween is for. Kevin can be a tanker and Wheylous can be a dinosaur. I'd like to be an astronaut.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

QuisCustodiet:

Fellas, fellas. This is what Halloween is for. Kevin can be a tanker and Wheylous can be a dinosaur. I'd like to be an astronaut.

Reminds me of the Outer Limits episode where the super-advanced aliens were dinosaurs - yes, dinosaurs. In fact, they were astronaut dinosaurs.

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS