Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Anarchist Politicians

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 17 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
1,711 Posts
Points 29,285
SkepticalMetal posted on Wed, Oct 31 2012 11:16 AM

This was a question I had coming from the thread about an AnCap being elected in New Hampshire.

Hashem said that he'd be okay with an anarchist running for office as long as he or she ran on anarcho-capitalist principles. Straightforward ones, not under the cover of "liberty is limited government."

My question is, how would this work? Would it not be fraud when the anarchist swears "to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States?"

And you know that an openly anarchist politician could be tore down by the media.

Plus, wouldn't the anarchist also be forcing this on the patriots, the ones who like the state?

It seems to me like the theoretical job of an AnCap politician would be paradoxical in one way or another.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
985 Posts
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Wed, Oct 31 2012 9:01 PM

That's too many questions, and I'm not familiar with synedoche or metonymy. Will you please try to boil your angle down to one or two general or potent questions?

Regarding the approach, I already said I don't support political activism. But I do support talented expression, which requires social skills. So whether the person is running for political office or just influencing people in his sphere, I support honesty and social calibration, as well as study on why people support violence in the first place. So I wouldn't advocate that someone blab about how he's an anarchist or how anarchy is the only solution to things, because people don't respond well to that. Whereas, I would support someone who could make interesting conversation with a strong theme about mutually voluntary exchange supported by facts that the specific person/people he's talking to are likely to care about and respond positively to. In other words, I support the salesman technique for promoting liberty, a la Molyneux, more than I support anti-social anarchists or politicians.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,018 Posts
Points 17,760

My question is, how would this work? Would it not be fraud when the anarchist swears "to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States?"

Its called a lie.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
1,711 Posts
Points 29,285

That's not the point...

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (18 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS