Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

What do you do during the Pledge of Allegiance?

rated by 0 users
This post has 41 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 6:40 AM

National Acrobat:
I understand that's what he was saying. I think a reaction like that comes from being insulted as opposed to being afraid. You're attacking an integral aspect of that person's identity and they have taken offense. And that aspect of their identity, their nationalism, isn't something that's really in danger. Nationalism in the US, especially in the form of the Pledge and national anthem, is well and alive. Given that, it seems to me that a vet wouldn't be experiencing fear as much as disgust and insult.

He would certainly feel threatened, which is my point.

National Acrobat:
To say that someone is a coward because they react with violence to what they understand as an insult, seems to unfairly paint that person with a particular brush for the purpose of discrediting them because they disagree with you as opposed to really giving a faithful account of that person's actions as they understand them.

Once again, what obligates me to give a faithful account of that person's actions as they understand them?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Points 4,055
excel replied on Tue, Nov 20 2012 8:04 AM

Can you imagine this spoken loudly, in a shrill voice?

Ich schwöre Treue auf die Fahne der Vereingten Staaten von Amerika und die Republik, für die sie steht, eine Nation unter Gott, unteilbar, mit Freiheit und Gerechtigkeit für jeden.

Maybe change it up a little, like 'Eine Nation! Eine Gott!" in little shrieks, while stamping your foot or slapping your desk.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (42 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS