Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

america and the value of free enterprise

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 Posted: Tue, Nov 13 2012 3:42 AM

i see these articles saying the american electorite no longer values free enterprise.

http://www.cross-currents.com/archives/2012/11/07/the-decline-and-fall-of-the-american-empire/

where does free enterprise fit in between slavery and protectionism?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,249
Points 70,775

It doesn't "fit in between" them. What does that even mean?

My humble blog

It's easy to refute an argument if you first misrepresent it. William Keizer

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 639
Points 11,575
cab21 replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 12:07 PM

when was there free enterprise in america is what i mean

the article seems to say the majority of americans use to vote for free enterprise, but now do not vote for free enterpise.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 1:13 PM

The author is correct in that all empires crash but for the wrong reasons.  Empires crash because politicians sell government largeness and two biggest ways to do this are the Welfare state and the military/warfare/security state.  These two towers of wealth destruction entice people to abandon work for others using the market process to extract rents using the political process. 

It just looks like the welfare portion is worse because the government gives up on the warfare portion as it runs out of lenders.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Tue, Nov 13 2012 1:56 PM

What really annoys me and part of the reason why I did not vote is because this author really believes that there is some huge philosophical difference between the Dems and Repubs and that is completely untrue.  They all want larger welfare and warfare states and are just arguing over which one should get the marginal dollar of borrowed money.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS