Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Crypto Cat Callout Catering

This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 366
Points 7,345
Fephisto Posted: Sun, Nov 18 2012 3:09 PM

So, Mises used to have a Vienna Circle, right?  I know what you're thinking, "Man, I wish _I_ could go to a Vienna/Mises Circle."

Well now you can!  For the low, low price of free! (inb4 TANSTAAFL)

But, some of you might be paranoid.  You've heard of the State of Missouri's Information Analysis Center wanting to keep a close eye on you if you have a Ron Paul bumper sticker.  TEMPEST attacks, NSA wiretappings, FBI Carnivore program, etc., etc., etc. notwithstanding.  Not quite as paranoid as Freedom{string of numbers} was (you're not ready to buy a water purifier and live out in the woods yet), but paranoid enough that you don't want to be quite so anti-statist and have a record of what you're saying on a public forum.

Well, don't worry, we've handled that too!

Here's the plan:

Get yourself the adorable cryptocat chat client (if you're really paranoid, get tor while you're at it! (and for the extremely paranoid, get anonymouth too!)).

Every Friday, a chat room title will be declared in this thread, from 5 p.m. CST until whenevertheEuropeanswakeup or wheneverRothbardfinallygoestobed log on to the chat room title with whatever username you want via crypotcat.

Fun times will be had by all.  Maybe someone will invent and bring some cryptobooze (I'm not making any promises!).

Latest Projects

"Even when leftists talk about discrimination and sexism, they're damn well talking about the results of the economic system" ~Neodoxy

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 3:22 PM

Oh goody! A fellow Austrian who's into cryptography! I just have to give a shoutout to some great FREE open-source software

GNU Privacy Guard (Create and manage public/private encryption keys)

Enigmail (Open PGP add-on for Mozilla Thunderbird)

EDIT: well sonofagun, Cryptocat is an add-on for Thunderbird Firefox too!

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 8:07 PM
Khan Academy has a good series on crypto under applied math.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 9:12 PM

Crypto's great for keeping privacy and all, but personally I find it safer to simply assume that anything I write or say anywhere is or can be made public at any time :P

Even if you're crypto'd to a chat session, you have no idea who you're talking to. And since libertarians follow the NAP, we shouldn't even really be active gov targets, waste of time for them on the whole.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 9:58 PM

For me it's about general privacy principles - the goal is to frustrate their efforts at snooping via traffic analysis (ie, Carnivore).

I might be sending a Thanksgiving recipe, but "They" don't need to know that.

An idealist is one who, on noticing that roses smell better than a cabbage, concludes that it will also make better soup. -H.L. Mencken
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Sun, Nov 18 2012 10:26 PM

Groucho:

For me it's about general privacy principles - the goal is to frustrate their efforts at snooping via traffic analysis (ie, Carnivore).

No, I agree. I think we should all use crypto to stymie their BS warrantless snooping tactic, and we should use crypto to do perfectly legal things all the time.  Crypto-nation baby, yeah.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

Be sure the recipe is called a Chocolate Bomb or something that would attract attention, and be sure to mention it in clear text :)

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 2:34 PM
http://prx.aps.org/abstract/PRX/v2/i4/e041010
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 3:27 PM

Andris Birkmanis:

Be sure the recipe is called a Chocolate Bomb or something that would attract attention, and be sure to mention it in clear text :)

My Allahu Akbar Twin Towers Tiramisu recipe should pique their interest.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 432
Points 6,740
Groucho replied on Wed, Nov 21 2012 3:42 PM

@Malachi

Wouldn't it be easier to just use the Diffie–Hellman key exchange? Or am I missing what that paper is about?

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

It would be easier, but DH key exchange is open to man-in-the-middle attack.

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 366
Points 7,345
Fephisto replied on Fri, Nov 30 2012 7:42 PM

So, I said Fridays, didn't I?

Come onto cryptochat.

room name:

viennaviennacheese

Latest Projects

"Even when leftists talk about discrimination and sexism, they're damn well talking about the results of the economic system" ~Neodoxy

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS