Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Request - examples of giants the free market brought down

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 18 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490
Wheylous posted on Wed, Dec 5 2012 7:30 PM

I distinctly remember reading about some well-known large companies that the free market brought down by itself. However, I do not remember the names. I had a vague memory that it was Sears, but I can't find any references.

Help?

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,288 Posts
Points 22,350

Also Atari and later Sega as video game console makers.  Also Wheylous, you should know better than to make 'question' threads, which do not show the proper page number on the forum view once they go up a single page.

The Voluntaryist Reader: http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com/ Libertarian forums that actually work: http://voluntaryism.freeforums.org/index.php
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

I didn't know that...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
1,133 Posts
Points 20,435

I thought you would enjoy this information Wheylous:

In the steel industry, for example, minimills have been cleaning the clocks of the old
steel giants. According to Adams and Brock, minimills operating at infinitesimal
fractions of the output of U.S. Steel and Bethlehem Steel had by 1998 achieved a 45%
share of the U.S. market. They used electric furnaces to process scrap metal, and oriented
their output toward local markets. Minimills produced wire rod and cold-rolled steel
sheets 28% and 29% cheaper, respectively, than U.S. Steel. A minimill could produce
steel bars with only thirty employees on average, compared to 130 even in a single plant
of U.S. Steel.21

21 - Walter Adams and James Brock "The Bigness Complex"

Of Carson's Organization Theory

Land & Liberty

The Anarch is to the Anarchist what the Monarch is to the Monarchist. -Ernst Jünger

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

That looks really awesome!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (19 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS