Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

A Civil Action

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285
SkepticalMetal Posted: Fri, Dec 28 2012 12:55 PM

My Mom has been reading this book called "A Civil Action," which basically revolves around some corporation or something like that dumping waste around a town causing people to get sick. It took years for the courts to finally do something in the book (and by the way, the book is based off of a true story...or so it says).

But anyway, it's made her reconsider the free-market environmentalist position that I have helped her to aquire over time. What can I do to bring her back? Also, if you want to know more about what the book is about, read about it here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Civil_Action

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 1:08 PM

Explain to her that, in all likelihood, there'd be a lot more courts in a free-market justice system, so court cases would go a lot faster.

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 304
Points 4,800
cporter replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 2:09 PM

These kinds of things are so common, and yet they blow my mind every time.

The courts are government run from top to bottom. Why would the government screwing the pooch make her rethink a free-market environmentalist position? I guess the other government alternative would be a regulator doing something about it when the court didn't, but that is no more guaranteed than the court doing something about it was. The EPA was already around when this was happening, after all.

People have a very strong tendency to imagine - with hindsight, of course - a "simple" solution and then pretend like it would have gone down exactly how they have dreamed it going. If only life was that easy.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,711
Points 29,285

Yeah. Well, both of my parents have come quite a long way towards anarcho-capitalism, especially well-noted as they are in their fifties, so that is a sign of well-lasting open-mindedness. Thank you for your responses, but sometimes I think that free-market anarchism is reserved for the younger generation.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,922
Points 79,590
Autolykos replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 2:43 PM

Are you going to explain to your parents that they're assuming the court system would be no different in an anarcho-capitalist society?

The keyboard is mightier than the gun.

Non parit potestas ipsius auctoritatem.

Voluntaryism Forum

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,439
Points 44,650
Neodoxy replied on Fri, Dec 28 2012 4:06 PM

Tell her that dumping stuff which makes people sick near where they live is violating property as much as poisoning them is. It's a huge violation of property rights which the state didn't stop.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,258
Points 34,610
Anenome replied on Sun, Dec 30 2012 9:40 PM

Ironically, it has been the places where central control is strongest that have been the biggest polluters. Capitalist countries are positively saints by comparison. Examples are replete in Russia, China, and the 3rd world where power reigns over rights.

Autarchy: rule of the self by the self; the act of self ruling.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS