Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Skipping breakfast?

rated by 0 users
This post has 48 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760
Kelvin Silva Posted: Mon, Jan 21 2013 6:04 PM

I know that this is probably something not related to politics/economics but its something that always has been boggling my mind.

Is it really that bad for the body to skip breakfast? I do it all the time before going to school since i wake up at like 7:20 and school starts 20 minutes after (i also have to walk to school which takes like 5-10 mins)..

Usually i just drink a simple glass of milk and water and then i go to school. I dont really eat a typical breat/butter/egg breakfast.

Thoughts?

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."
"The sweetest of minds can harbor the harshest of men.”

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.org

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 6:44 PM

Do what your body tells you. And don't drink milk, it's not good for you. You may find you will need to substitute something else for that glass of milk if you decide to skip it.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Do what your body tells you. And don't drink milk, it's not good for you.

but i love milk. Why would milk be bad for you? I drink raw milk only.

“Since people are concerned that ‘X’ will not be provided, ‘X’ will naturally be provided by those who are concerned by its absence."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 9:48 PM

I specifically meant just guzzling down a whole glass of milk. 

a) Unless you are an infant or young child, you body is not designed to digest milk. In most adults (worldwide... Europeans have varying levels of adult lactose tolerance, some countries as high as 90%), the gene that allows the production of lactase (used in the digestion of milk) is switched off (lactose intolerance).

b) The hormones in milk may have an infantilizing effect... increased docility, servility, etc. I haven't researched it much but I remember reading about this.

I do consume milk products - milk products are tasty, but they are not the same as guzzling a whole glass of milk. If I drank a whole glass of milk right now, I'd probably blow up like a balloon and burst. I can only consume milk products in moderation and with the aid of a lactase supplement.

Clayton -

Not Ranked
Posts 69
Points 1,320

Do what your body tells you. And don't drink milk, it's not good for you.

I see what you did there. Starkly ironic. Very clever.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 452
Points 7,620

Don't drink bovine milk. I drink almond milk. Goat milk is much more similar in composition to human milk than cow milk.

You should eat in the morning. Presumably, you hadn't eaten anything for eight hours before you woke up.

http://thephoenixsaga.com/
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 11:14 PM

Almond milk is stretching the definition to something white that testes like animal milk. I've also read that the production involves not-so-great chemical processes. Or maybe it's only for some of the non-animal milks.

Why would human or goat milk be much more healthy than cow's milk to an adult human, given that all of them are "meant" for infants? I wouldn't be surprised if cow's milk were less unhealthy, as it wouldn't have as many compounds that were active in humans (similar to how cow diseases are less transmittable to humans than diseases of animals closer to humans, or diseases from other humans).

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Ill stop drinking milk then see what happens.

The hormones in milk may have an infantilizing effect... increased docility, servility, etc. I haven't researched it much but I remember reading about this.

Alot of people do call me immature.....

Is the proposed damage of drinking milk, esp. in the growing/teen age permanent?

As far as lactose tolerance, i can drink probably like 3 glasses/cheese/yogurt etc and not get sick, so thats not really a problem.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 11:28 PM

Is it really that bad for the body to skip breakfast?

Depends on where you're going with the idea of "bad"...

It's easy to say a nutritious breakfast is probably optimal after 8 hours of not eating. And as the next best alternative it's probably reasonable to skip breakfast as long as you get that nutrition at another point in the day. But really, so many factors contribute to health that I wouldn't stress about breakfast above everything else. You can imagine that someone who is mentally strained and fed and satisfied, but skips breakfast and fails to replace it daily, may end up healthier than someone who has a really stressful life and eat's a flawless breakfast daily.

Probably the best general advice for you if you're determined to skip breakfast is to eat nutitiously (a shit ton of water and greens daily, among other less critical but still ultimately necessary sources of nutrition), and don't eat within like 2 hours of going to bed. And do things that make you feel fantastic because laughter and sex and massages and power etc. make the brain feel great and are associated with abundance of chemicals in the body that reduce the effects of aging and disease, and promote optimal metabolism generally.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 11:28 PM

As far as lactose tolerance, i can drink probably like 3 glasses/cheese/yogurt etc and not get sick, so thats not really a problem.

My point is that ... if that's what it does to a large segment of the population, maybe it's best to moderate your intake all the same.

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 11:31 PM

power etc.

Wha??

Clayton -

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 11:45 PM

Don't skip breakfast. Skip school.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Don't skip breakfast. Skip school.

Have you ever seen a non libertarian parent?

I would gladly skip school, but my parents would kill me.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 11:52 PM

I'm gonna go primal on y'all. I can't remember the last time that I had breakfast. Why eat when you aren't hungry; do you need to fatten up because you are going on expedition where food won't be available for days?

Anyway, yeah, after going primal I can theoretically fast for many days. I say theoretically because something always comes along to break my fast; for example, being invited to dinner. I think my record is about 68 hours.

So, as Clayton suggest, listen to your body. If you suddenly feel like eating a cow, go for it. But don't eat simply because it's breakfast time.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Anyway, yeah, after going primal I can theoretically fast for many days. I say theoretically because something always comes along to break my fast; for example, being invited to dinner. I think my record is about 68 hours.

Yea i was reading about fasting. I want to be able to have this ability.

Have you had any experience with fasting before a workout routine?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 12:03 AM

Kelvin Silva:

Yea i was reading about fasting. I want to be able to have this ability.

To do so, your body must have the nutrients stored in your body off which to live. So, you have to eat (primal) foods that loaded with nutrients. From there, you are burning fats AND consuming nutrients while you fast. Otherwise, you are burning fat but are depleted in nutrients, which will make you hungry. Btw, I'm assuming that you are fasting because you want to lose fat.

Have you had any experience with fasting before a workout routine?

I don't workout; I simply live the primal lifestyle. But yeah, I've gone for long walks around town while fasting and I can see that I have lost fat at the end of the day.

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 660
Elric replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 12:11 AM

Fasting is also a good way to get rid of toxins in the body. Hunger goes away by about the third day.

You may want to look into converting your raw milk into kefir if you can find somebidy to give you the grains.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 12:44 AM

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA - this is the only thing I like about being an adult! No more non-libertarian parents being little mini-tyrants on me all the time!

This music video always reminds me of Molyneux and his daddy issues:

Clayton -

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 1:40 AM

I can't remember the last time that I had breakfast. Why eat when you aren't hungry; do you need to fatten up because you are going on expedition where food won't be available for days?

In a way, break-fast is whatever you eat since you last ate before going to sleep.

I consistently eat a cup of oatmeal (dry amount before adding water and boiling) before anything else after I wake up. I notice that I get low blood sugar (verified with meter) a couple of hours later very reliably. Yet on those days I decide to wait several hours before eating oatmeal, I'm fine.

I've read that one's body basically can be burning sugars or fats, and switches to the latter only if there haven't been sugars for a while. Also that one can sometimes experience this shift as nausea in the morning, but that it subsides after a while. My conjecture is that those days I don't eat oatmeal right away, my body has switched to burning fat, and explains why I can go for hours. But if I eat oatmeal, it keeps my body "dependent" on sugars, so it just throws its hands up a couple of hours later and refuses to switch to fat quickly enough.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 1:49 AM

Extended version docudrama of Stefan Molyneux's childhood:

HAHA, poor Stefan ... his daddy didn't let him be a rock star and let out his inner twisted sister. On second thought, poor us, because now we are tormented with all these hand-wringing, gut-wrenching, soul-searching YouTube videos giving the psychiatric side of anarcho-capitalism. I would much prefer he strut around on stage in a wig and leotards and making horrendous screeching noises!!

Clayton -

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Clayton, this is not the Low Content Rant/Vent thread :p

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 985
Points 21,180
hashem replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 9:39 AM

Clayton:

power etc.

Wha??

You need power to do anything, and being able to do the things you want to do contributes to satisfaction. It doesn't have to be associated with violence. But the point was that the power to do things that you want to do triggers release of and/or is associated with abundance of chemicals which reduce the effects of aging and disease and promote optimal metabolism (in addition to obviously contributing to the success/confidence/drive factors of mental health).

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. —Mark Twain
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,739
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 9:43 AM

DMuff stop giving this young man bad advice. If he is "primal" how is he then supposed to live the life of beer, anarchy and rock n' roll?

Don't listen to any of DMuff's hippie stuff, Kelvin. Don't go without eating for three days or skipping breakfast, that's just silly and self-destructive. You shouldn't be boozing on an empty stomach!

Of course you have them, how else are you going to be a rock n' roll rebel?

I would gladly skip school, but my parents would kill me.

Nah, after they hear about all the other stuff they should totally forget about skipping school.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA - this is the only thing I like about being an adult! No more non-libertarian parents being little mini-tyrants on me all the time!

A personal favorite: The Kids are Back, or How can we stop it, when you're havin' none?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 260
Points 4,015

On a serious note milk-wise, I can't seem to get enough calcium or magnesium or vitamin D even with drinking a couple of glasses of milk a day.  If you start skipping it, do a little math and see if you can find out how to make up the difference.

D of course you should be getting from sun exposure, but depending on where you live and all that school, it might not be so easy.  Surprising how many people are vitamin D deficient.  By the time I got tested, mine was super low and took months of prescription D3 to come back to low-normal.

I favor canned whole sardines and sunflower seeds, but I'm still having to supplement with a multimineral.  Don't like taking pills.

--edited to add, that per my anthropology books, most human populations are well adapted to digesting dairy.  Dairy animals were the first to be domesticated after all, since they're so biddable.  It doesn't take nearly as many generations as you'd think for an adaptation like that to become widespread--

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,966
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 4:40 PM

Kelvin Silva:
but i love milk. Why would milk be bad for you?

The answer you got to this question was wrong and silly even if it was correct.   Most adults are not lactose intolerant, and even if they were, why would you stop drinking something so nutritious that you love so much before you verified you are also one of the "most"?  You're probably not becasue most people who are have at least some symptoms after drinking Milk.  

Drink your Milk!  Whole Milk!   It has also been shown to be a great recovery drink if you workout.  And it also tastes great in a Rothbard flask.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 5:22 PM

@DD5: I strongly disagree with the characterization "silly" - there are varying opinions on it. Search Mark's Daily Apple for some alternative views on milk. My present view is that milk is like salt - good for you in small doses. But if you (generic) conclude after researching it that drinking a glass of milk each day is the right thing for you, then so be it.

What is silly is the unquestioning acceptance of the US dairy industry's "Drink milk, it's good for you", "Got Milk?" and other propaganda campaigns. My recommendation to someone who drinks a straight glass of milk each day (or more) is that you take a careful, skeptical look at milk. Acne, for example, is an affliction that, in many cases, may be simply due to prolific milk consumption.

Clayton -

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,679
Points 45,110
gotlucky replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 5:34 PM

Clayton is channeling his inner Woody Harrelson:

"I was on a bus and some girl sees me blowing my nose," Harrelson is saying of his early years trying to make it as an actor in New York. "I had acne all over my face, which I'd had for years and years. And she's like: 'Hey, you're lactose intolerant. If you quit dairy, all these symptoms you got will be gone in three days.' I was like twenty-four. And I was like, No way. But three days later: gone.

"So I started thinking to myself, Jeez, I've always been told nothing but 'Milk does a body good.' It's a fundamental thing. So from there it was like, What else are they lying about? I just started realizing: There are all these things we're brought up to believe that are just a total hoax, just bullshit advertising, you know?"

Note: Woody Harrelson is a vegan/raw foodist. I'm most definitely not. But nonetheless he's dedicated to healthy eating.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

@Elric

Hunger goes away by about the third day.

Hunger goes away in about two weeks, too.

Jesus Christ, since when does being primal mean never eating? Haha, I mean, I guess I could understand if your daily routine involves lying completely motionless, but damn. 

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 6:18 PM

@Willy: Well, think about it. Our ancestors in the primitive environment doubtless underwent (not-so-voluntary) fasts or severe rationing during hunts and other times where food supplies would dip. They had no capital to speak of so they had no cushion and they also had less insurance against food supply collapses and so on. Yet the body holds up through this just fine. Part of exercising the body itself is to stress it in different ways. I was watching a lecture by Nassim Taleb where he mentions that not all cells in the body are equally efficient, so stressing them (say, during a fast) helps weed out the weaker and less efficient cells.

Clayton -

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 660
Elric replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 10:15 PM

Implying people die if they fast for over two weeks?  There are fasts other than a water fast. There is the fruit fast, juice fast, master cleanse... Ever heard of Ramadan? You may not consider these fasts in the true sense of the word but the people who do them call them a fast.

Jesus Christ, since when does being primal mean never eating? Haha, I mean, I guess I could understand if your daily routine involves lying completely motionless, but damn.

I have read he did fast too.

A fast is only temporary but you can workout while doing one. There are muslims who play sports professionally.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 12:03 AM

Willy Truth:

@Elric

Hunger goes away by about the third day.

Only when you are trying to lose fat, but you should only do this after your body has adapted to burning fat and have been eating high-nutrient foods. Otherwise, you will experience hunger because your body is deficient in nutrients.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,018
Points 17,760

Only when you are trying to lose fat, but you should only do this after your body has adapted to burning fat and have been eating high-nutrient foods. Otherwise, you will experience hunger because your body is deficient in nutrients.

Not only that. Sometimes im too busy to eat breakfast and lunch, but i will almost always eat dinner.

Sometimes i eat 2nd lunch (eating a meal at 4-5pm, but only having a small snack at 12 which is 1st lunch), without dinner and without breakfast. Sometimes i eat late dinner which is around an hour or so before sleeping (this is on the days i have 2nd lunch).

2nd lunch only occurs on tuesdays and thursdays. On the other days i have first lunch (eating a sandwich at 12), with dinner (around 6:30-8pm), and weekends i have breakfast, on sunday though i usually don't have breakfast, it depends with 1.5 lunch (rice/meat/vegetables in other words a real meal), with diner).

And if there is no school on the weekday i eat a normal to small size breakfast (usually the size of 1st lunch),  extended lunch (2-3pm instead of 12), and normal dinner.

What is your eating routine?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,118
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator
DanielMuff replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 12:51 AM

Kelvin Silva:
What is your eating routine?

Whenever I'm hungry or when out with friends/family/etc.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

@Clayton: Gotcha. Emphasis on "not-so-voluntary" though. Personally, I'm all about the Penn Jillette attitude when it comes to eating: Eat more. Although he's lost a bit of weight over the last couple years. However, I think it's also a misconception that "overweight" people are necessarily less healthy. Much of the issue is merely cosmetic.

But I'd agree that varying your intake is good for the simple reason that it's a bit of a physiological/mental exercise in itself. I use the same reasoning after a long weekend of partying. My liver is made of rock! ...in a sexy way, not the cirrhosis way.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

@Elric

Nothing wrong with fasting. Just skeptical of their efficacy. I've experimented with a lot of diets, but never fat loss diets, so I can't speak from personal experience. I did have a Muslim friend in college who was a workout warrior. During Ramadan he would lose 10-ish pounds and about 1/3 of his strength (which he found distressing). But I suppose his body fat went down too.

@KelvinSilva

Eat when you're hungry, drink water when you're not. Milk and sandwiches, small amounts of bread only when meat is involved. No candy. Lots of colorful veggies. Vinegar. Avoid all softdrinks (except for ginger ale to mix with your bourbon). Meat with every meal. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 6,885
Points 121,845
Clayton replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 3:10 AM

Emphasis on "not-so-voluntary" though.

Agreed. And this is a central part of Sisson's philosophy. Human beings are obviously lazy creatures! But so what? What's wrong with that?? Laze around in the Sun until you have to go do something. Then go do it. Then go back to laying in the Sun.

But the same limitation (can't simulate non-voluntariness) also applies to the sprint routines in Sisson's workouts... you can't exactly simulate having a pack of wolves on your ass. Well, you can, but unlike our forbears who might have been able to survive such a situation, you and I will just get eaten... LOL

Clayton -

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 470
Points 7,025
Vitor replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 4:36 AM

I like milk quite a lot, but I try to drink lactose-free one whenever possible, it makes much easier to digest.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 907
Points 14,795

The hormones in milk may have an infantilizing effect... increased docility, servility, etc.

Aha, Freedom4me warned us the agg was designed by the gov! If only we listened to him!

The Voluntaryist Reader - read, comment, post your own.
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 2,966
Points 53,250
DD5 replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 8:26 AM

Clayton:
What is silly is the unquestioning acceptance of the US dairy industry's "Drink milk, it's good for you",

Well the main reason you gave in your post for why milk is bad was that most people are lactose intolerant, but if he is not one of them, then why should that affect him?  

I don't see a compelling argument against milk  by Mark Sisson except that most commercial milk comes from cows eating grains and subject to all kind of artiificial crap.  I can buy into that.   But organic whole milk by grass fed cows?  What is wrong with that?  

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 305
Points 7,165

@Clayton,

you can't exactly simulate having a pack of wolves on your ass. Well, you can, but unlike our forbears who might have been able to survive such a situation, you and I will just get eaten... LOL

That may be true. But being chased by wolves is a very effective and natural antidepressant. Nothing brings back the vigor of life like the prospect of being ripped apart by a gnashing set of jaws. And some of us probably need to be eaten. It's the primal way.

Page 1 of 2 (49 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS