Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Anyone know anything about law for online businesses?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 183
Points 3,740
EmbraceLiberty Posted: Sat, Mar 23 2013 2:24 AM

If I were to make an online business what should I not do that could get me sued over some IP bullcrap.

• | Post Points: 65
Not Ranked
Posts 98
Points 1,895
Primetime replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 3:31 AM

If you were to make a brick and mortar business, what should you not do that could get you sued over some IP bullcrap?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 228
Points 3,640
Blargg replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 10:36 AM

Talk to a lawyer.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 1,687
Points 22,990
Bogart replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 12:02 PM

The response that the same applies to a brick and mortar business is not quite accurate as the likelyhood of violating copyrights and patents without even noticing it seems to me to much greater.  LRC has had several issues with linking to articles and then being threatened with law suites for just linking.  And then there are crazy patents: Double Click, Round Edges on Screens, Amazon Clicking Process, etc. where these patent holders, I do not use the word own as I do not believe that IP is real property, can at any time decide to bring a suite against you.

But I would not let these threats stop me as the estimate that every working person commits at least 3 felonies per day.  If you take 3 pills out of your 90 day supply and put them in a new container you are guild of a felony.  If you help your fellow empolyee who got hit in the eye by a large bug and now has an infection then you are practicing medicine without a license.  ...

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 98
Points 1,895
Primetime replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 6:44 PM

Bogart:
The response that the same applies to a brick and mortar business is not quite accurate

Oh really?  I guess I was just under the impression that violating IP statutes is what could get one "sued over some IP bullcrap."  Silly me.  Please educate us all on how I'm wrong about that.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 383
Points 8,775
Sukrit replied on Sun, Mar 24 2013 12:34 PM

If you avoid borrowing people's websites without acknowledgement and you don't take their logos/images/etc and pass it off as your own you should be fine. Depends on the specific details of your online business. It's best to contact the government agencies involved with IP enforcement in the US, and if they're not helpful, book a consultation with a lawyer and set out your business idea. Or email Stephan Kinsella, he's an IP lawyer ( I don't understand how that works, since he's against IP laws) and a libertarian.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

I started learning java last summer.  I've been working on my own commercial political-economic game in java+lwjgl (opengl wrapper).  Nearly everything is somehow more or less derived from existing works.  What it comes down to it seems is how much attention it attracts and how much stupidity lawyers can think up to spew in court to make it seem like their own derivations are somehow distinct from yours.  If the software industry at large can repeatedly reskin everything that has ever made a dime of profit, I don't think you have much to worry about.  Just don't use exact copies.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,055
Points 41,895

Btw, I've noticed since YouTube switched to fully optional video monetization that many copyrighted materials are being verbatim posted and monetized.  Thus, it has essentially become a file sharing network.  It may be that Google has an intimidation factor that will insulate them from being attacked like other sharing networks.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS