Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Joseph Schumpeter's view on economic depressions

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
383 Posts
Points 8,775
Sukrit posted on Thu, Apr 4 2013 4:58 AM
Is this an accurate characterisation of Joseph Schumpeter?
"in his book, "The Theory of Economic Development", wrote that depressions are a normal part of the way business cycles function, and a depression, even an extended one, is no reason to doubt capitalism." http://sukritsabhlok.weebly.com/2/post/2013/04/a-stylized-history-of-economic-thought.html

I wrote this, but I have not read Schumpeter's work in detail and got that sentence from a summary written by someone else, and wanted to check it with the forum members here

thanks for the help and apologies if it seems like i'm leeching off your intelligence

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,439 Posts
Points 44,650

I've only read summaries that are also critiques by Rothbard, so all I know is that Schumpeter's business cycle theory sounds complicated as hell and has very heavily to do with technological expansion. Look in the appropriate MES or ADP sections if you want Rothbard's take on it.

At last those coming came and they never looked back With blinding stars in their eyes but all they saw was black...
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
383 Posts
Points 8,775

Yes thanks for that, that was very useful. I should probably read Man Economy & State sometime soon.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS