Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Bitcoin and the theory of money in the tradition of Carl Menger

rated by 0 users
This post has 44 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Wed, Apr 10 2013 5:34 PM

So people are accepting a bitcoin in exchange for their 260 USD even though there is an almost free competitor available in the form of PGP or OTR encryption?

other forms of crypto are not equivalent to the bitcoin network. people pay more than ten times as much for one automobile as they do for another. at this point you can compare and contrast features to discover why one good is more valuable to some people than another good.

Do you have evidence that even a single person is using Bitcoin in 'secure durable pseudonymous cryptographic communications'?

do you understand what cryptography is? do you know what pseudonymous means? do you know what it means for a communication system to be secure? do you now see how absurd it is to ask me for evidence of someone doing something that is intended to be private?

"..one could easily assert that acceptance of bitcoin is based primarily upon usage. this is because bitcoin has industrial value."

can you give me evidence of anyone purchasing a bitcoin because they do not intend to use it to send a datum or data to someone else? or are we done here?

Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Thu, Apr 11 2013 12:38 PM

Peter,

I'll answer you tomorrow. Busy today.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,417
Points 41,720
Nielsio replied on Sat, Apr 13 2013 1:04 PM

Surda:

"I was merely attempting to provide one possibility to show that a steady system is possible. So I'll do a story instead as I don't think you understood the "model" I presented.

A guy G sells fiat on a Bitcoin exchange in order to buy bitcoins. The counterparty is a speculator S. The G buys goods/services from a merchant M. Merchant sells bitcoins on an exchange and gets fiat, his counterparty being a speculator S. G is able to purchase goods at a lower price. M is able to increas his profit margin due to lower fees and other costs associated with the payment processing. Speculator may or may not earn, but he thinks he can earn as long as someone is trading, because this creates fluctuations.

This is a minimalist closed loop, and the only thing it requires is that Bitcoin decreases transaction costs sufficiently for all parties to profit.

Of course, the whole reality is more complex, but that only creates more opportunities for profit."

Speculation is based on other factors that actually drive the price. If I suspect floods are coming that will ruin corn crops, I may buy some corn now because I expect the price to go up. Others with me may do the same and thus our actions will drive up the price of corn before the floods have arrived. A speculator is not just buying without information and then hoping it goes up; that would be a losing strategy.

Your model of 'speculators will buy any time someone wants to sell their bitcoins' has to be based on something else. Speculation is not something that keeps itself going. They need to have a reason to believe that in the future they will be able to sell it. This is the key about bitcoin: it does not represent any producer or consumer good to consumers, nor does it represent any contract. What speculators in Bitcoin are doing today is they are basing their purchasing decisions on their estimation of the trend of belief in Bitcoin. If belief goes up, the price goes up. If belief goes down, the price goes down. If belief disappears, the price goes down to 0.

'Bitcoin as a transaction cost lowering vehicle' (and as an anonimizing vehicle for that matter) relies on the believers in Bitcoin, not the speculators.

"..You can transport Bitcoins over the border undetected, you can't do this with fiat. Your bank account can be expropriated (or deleveraged, whichever you prefer), but cash has high transction costs, so this creates a gap."

I was attempting to explain to you that problems with other currencies don't make Bitcoin a better currency when I am precisely arguing that Bitcoin has nothing going for it, fundamentally. Similarly, it being easier to transport Bitcoins over the border does not solve the problem of Bitcoin being useful whatsoever as a money. I can transport a photo of a car over the border without having to pay taxes on it as I would have on importing a car; this however misses what we are arguing about.

"I think that you don't understand how indirect exchange works."

Then you should criticize my work on Menger and Rothbard that discusses the fundamentals about how indirect exchange is viewed, and point out my mistakes.

"I must admit I don't undestand what you're talking about."

You bring up the regression theory in your paper. This is an invention of Mises, and Rothbard followed Mises on this idea. According to them, the value of a money good is its consumer and producer value + monetary demand from the previous exchange period giving it a higher price. According to my interpretation of Menger, his money theory is that the value of a money good is its speculated consumer and producer value and nothing else (with perhaps discounted costs).

Your paper is arguing under the premise that the regression theory is true. My article goes a level deeper in that I attempt to discredit the regression theory.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,493
Points 39,355
Malachi replied on Sat, Apr 13 2013 1:22 PM

This is the key about bitcoin: it does not represent any producer or consumer good to consumers, nor does it represent any contract.

in fact, it represents an intangible good which is called a service.
I was attempting to explain to you that problems with other currencies don't make Bitcoin a better currency when I am precisely arguing that Bitcoin has nothing going for it, fundamentally. Similarly, it being easier to transport Bitcoins over the border does not solve the problem of Bitcoin being useful whatsoever as a money. I can transport a photo of a car over the border without having to pay taxes on it as I would have on importing a car; this however misses what we are arguing about.
and that argument is sound as long as you continue to ignore the actual good we call "bitcoin." then it falls apart. its as if, instead of a picture of a car, it was a naked picture of marilyn monroe, in analog. your nspoken claim is that no human wants or would ever want an old-school nude photograph of a model who is now dead (in essence the good cannot be reproduced). well we all know differently. youre exchanging information digitally and pseudonymously right now, you cannot claim that there is no utility to a good that facilitates that exchange, because its a performative contradiction.
According to my interpretation of Menger, his money theory is that the value of a money good is its speculated consumer and producer value and nothing else (with perhaps discounted costs).
so ignorance of the actual consumer and producer good inherent in bitcoin would be a significant flaw in your argument.
Keep the faith, Strannix. -Casey Ryback, Under Siege (Steven Seagal)
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 269
Points 4,195

Nielsio:

A speculator is not just buying without information and then hoping it goes up; that would be a losing strategy.

Correct. In my model, the speculator bases his activity on the assumption that the market price will be volatile. He'll set up walls around the current price, and people who are trying to buy/sell Bitcoin for transactional purposes will hit the walls. Everyone is able to benefit from such a structure. The costs associated with this are minimal.

You might argue that it is not apodictically certain in advance that such a thing will work, but the funny thing is, it already works, and has been working for several years. So the objection would be moot. Just like in a sociaty without language, it is not apodictically certain in advance that something like language could work, but we know empirically that it already works, so the objection is moot. We do not need to make a praxeological argument, because it's an empirical issue.

Nielsio:
Your model of 'speculators will buy any time someone wants to sell their bitcoins' has to be based on something else. Speculation is not something that keeps itself going. They need to have a reason to believe that in the future they will be able to sell it. This is the key about bitcoin: it does not represent any producer or consumer good to consumers, nor does it represent any contract. What speculators in Bitcoin are doing today is they are basing their purchasing decisions on their estimation of the trend of belief in Bitcoin. If belief goes up, the price goes up. If belief goes down, the price goes down. If belief disappears, the price goes down to 0.
While we cannot be apodictically certain this won't happen, there is already a lot of inertia in the system, which makes it increasingly unlikely. Are all speculators going to forego a risky, but potentially profitable opportunity? Are all businesses that build their services on top of Bitcoin forego making profit? Are the end users going to forego a decrease in transaction costs? And above all, what else are they going to do with their scarce resources, and what other payment mechanisms and speculative vehicles are they going to use?

It's kind of like wondering if the internet could vanish because of loss of interest. That might have made some sense when it wasn't so widespread, but there have been no viable competitors, so it grew, and its displacement by something entirely different is less and less likely.

Nielsio:
'Bitcoin as a transaction cost lowering vehicle' (and as an anonimizing vehicle for that matter) relies on the believers in Bitcoin, not the speculators.
It does not rely on believing becase it already works.

Nielsio:
To a certain extent, this is correct, but my point was that this is just one of the factors influencing the choice of a medium of exchange. On its own, it probably wouldn't be enough, but my thesis lists all kidns of other types of transaction costs where Bitcoin has an advantage. If there are enough of them, it can sustainably work. Are there enough of them already? Well, that's an empirical issue, but I'm increasingly becoming convinced that there already are.

Nielsio:
Then you should criticize my work on Menger and Rothbard that discusses the fundamentals about how indirect exchange is viewed, and point out my mistakes.
Wait, I thought I did. I explained that the act of exchange is a type of act that is influenced by transaction costs, and this has an effect on the choice of media of exchange. There are other types of acts where the most relevant factor are transaction costs, such as communication. You do not wonder if internet can be "consumed" (indeed, it cannot, it's an immaterial set of rules). You previously (a year back) argued that you can transport other things through the internet than itself (if I recall the wording correctly). But that's only true metaphorically. What we call colloquially "the internet" isn't just the abstract set of rules, it's the rules plus a bunch of electronics acting according to an abstract set of rules. It's the possibility of acting in unison that creates utility. And some rules are better than others (for example because they are more generic and allow open implementations), so these will be preferred. Similarly, Bitcoin, from the point of view of human action, is bunch of electronics acting according to an abstract set of rules. This is what we perceive as a good. Not the abstract sets of rules, which are immaterial and cannot be an object of human action. From Hoppean/Kinsellian view of property rights, when you are communicating, you are using your computer, not the abstract "internet". And people are not going to abandon using computers actiong based on a set of rules merely on account of these rules being abstract.

Using a transport of physical objects as a means of communication is done to a lesser and lesser extent, due to transaction costs. Similarly, transporting physical objects as a medium of exchange is done to a lesser and lesser extent. That does not imply that the standards must be derived from physical properties of objects. Indeed, with communication, it's the opposite: we define protocols by abstract rules, and then these can be deployed on different media using different physical methods.

Nielsio:
You bring up the regression theory in your paper. This is an invention of Mises, and Rothbard followed Mises on this idea. According to them, the value of a money good is its consumer and producer value + monetary demand from the previous exchange period giving it a higher price. According to my interpretation of Menger, his money theory is that the value of a money good is its speculated consumer and producer value and nothing else (with perhaps discounted costs).
If your theory was correct, immaterial goods couldn't exist. We wouldn't have books or the internet. You wouldn't be able to use a computer to post on this forum, because your computer would be a clumsy paperweight unable to communicate, unable to produce any output or collect any input.

Nielsio:
Your paper is arguing under the premise that the regression theory is true. My article goes a level deeper in that I attempt to discredit the regression theory.
I think that the point Menger was making was the emergence of liquidity. Liquidity is influenced by many factors, and is both a sufficient and necessary condition for something to be a medium of exchange. Now, that on its own is yet not a big deal.

However, once you go beyond Menger, you must realise that that factors other than consumption of the good itself can influence your actions, because merely wanting to consume the good does not frictionlessly allow you to consume it, even if the issue of double coincidence of wants is solved. Even if your ultimate goal must always be consumption, that does not mean that all goods must be consumed or even consumable. Some goods increase  utility even though they are never consumed, only in the metaphorical sense. And that is, in my opinion, the core invalid implicit assumption in your position.
Page 2 of 2 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS