Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Dispute about Zimbabwe

This post has 23 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 465
Camlon Posted: Wed, Sep 3 2008 10:05 AM

Well, I have a dispute with my teacher about Zimbabwe. Most of us know that Robert Mugabe tried to remove the white ownership of farms with quite a lot of negative consequences. I'm looking for possible reasons for why he choose to do that. We both agree that one of the reasons is that he want to distrubute the income.

I say that another reason is becasue he felt that the white people who owned most of the coporations took too much profit. I said that it's not perfect competition since there are entry barriers, and I don't think there was a lot of competing coporations. Another thing that supports this idea is that you can't get supernormal profit in perfect competition. However, they were certinally able to do that when white people controlled the firms. Therefore, I said that most firms was Oligopoly, and used the same diagram as in monoplostic competition, which didn't completly profitmaximize.

However, he disagrees and think I should draw a diagram similar to perfect competition. Who do you think is correct?

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

I think using economic models that have no connection to reality (i.e. perfect competition) is moronic, and that he should educate himself as to what profit is. As a hint, it isn't interest returns on capital.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 465
Camlon replied on Wed, Sep 3 2008 4:08 PM

Correction: he felt that he and his political constituency weren't getting too much profit. That is the sole reason he took over the farms. Of course, they're still unhappy because it turns out they don't know how to run farms.

Well, we know that is probably the main reason. However, I have to look at the economic arguments for doing it.

Jon Irenicus: [or someone else] Can you elaborate a bit about that, since one of the main reasons I wrote this is to show him that he's wrong. I'm planning to show him this discussion. I need to do that or else my argument falls down and a lot of my essay is wasted. He won't believe me because I'm a student and have nothing to say, but he has to listen to people at his level or higher. I didn't really get your hint though

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Perfect competition cannot exist in reality. It is an analytic tool that applies to a stationary equilibrium. The conditions it assumes: perfect information, no effect on prices by firms (i.e. firms being price-takers), homogeneous products, no barriers to entry &c. are all fictional. Very few of them exist in reality. There is, moreover, no reason why one should think they'd even be desirable. What mainstream economists do is they engage in conceptual realism, treating perfect competition as an actual goal as opposed to a conceptual tool. Austrians reject it as a desciption of how the economy ought to function, as it neglects the factors of uncertainty and time in action. The hint pertains to the fact that profits are an entrepreneur's reward for adjusting to conditions in the market (the opposite applies in the case of losses.) They're not, as is commonly thought, returns on capital.

-Jon

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Thu, Sep 4 2008 1:32 AM

The claimed reason behind that move was to provide poverty-stricken war-veterans with land to farm. If there was to be any income distribution, it was to be only among former guerrillas and soldiers. And he pretty much stuck to that claim: confiscated properties were handed out to present and former members of the military. Too bad they were not mutilated war-heroes but "generals" (and their wives... and sons... and daughters) with titles and decorations as ridicolous as Bokassa's. But that's another story.

About the competition bit. The old "too much profit" part has been widely discussed in a myriad of posts before and a quick search will help you out more than anything I can say. Also I would be careful about competition: if I remember correctly, again, Zimbabwe had very high tariffs on agricultural imports but tended to favor exports in many ways. So that would only leave internal competition. And here consider this: subsistence farming with Stone-Age technology (except the occasional iron implement) and no capitals versus commercial, scientific farming with advanced technology and capitals. Finally consider that most of the products grown on white-owned farms were usually cash-crops intended for exports, while subsistence farmers tended to concentrate on growing foodstuff to be sold on the local market.

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 465
Camlon replied on Thu, Sep 4 2008 12:33 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll report back on friday after his lesson.

Byzantine:
Camlon:
Well, we know that is probably the main reason. However, I have to look at the economic arguments for doing it.

Holy crap. Thank God I'm not in college.

Hehe, what do you mean?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 465
Camlon replied on Fri, Sep 5 2008 3:15 AM

Anyway, I talked to him and he seemed to accept it. I thought he was going to get mad, but he didn't and that was good. I also think that "too much profit" can be used in this case and yes, I took a look at the other threads. That's because this profit often went abroad to buy goods they couldn't get in their country, instead of going back into the country. This will cause GDP to further decrease and as unemplyment was allready large, then that's negative.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

How familiar are you exactly with Austrian economics?

-Jon

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Byzantine:
Now, sure I can come up with a coherent-sounding justification for mass murder and theft, but in the meantime my brain is screaming, why isn't this assignment about the best way to put a bullet in a murderous tyrant's head?

Because then people might think such treatment applies to the tyrants they live under, not just those of people in far away lands. Wink

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,651
Points 51,325

Byzantine:

College seems unbearably Marxist these days.  It was already bloody awful when I was there in the late 80's.  I imagine your assignment next year will be to analyze why Stalin needed to execute peasant farmers who withheld crops from the farming combine.  Now, sure I can come up with a coherent-sounding justification for mass murder and theft, but in the meantime my brain is screaming, why isn't this assignment about the best way to put a bullet in a murderous tyrant's head?

That's another assignment where you have to mathematically determine the utility brought from assassinating Stalin, the marginal cost of the bullet, etc.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 3
Points 60
ikester8 replied on Sat, Sep 6 2008 10:07 AM

Camlon:
I'm looking for possible reasons for why he choose to do that.

Did the thought, "Mugabe correctly decided he could get away with it?" ever come up? This has nothing to do with the economics of anything. It is about naked power. Rothbard's dictum is once again proved: the State is no different than a criminal gang writ large. Any justification or discussion has to take this into account.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 512
Points 8,730
pairunoyd replied on Sat, Sep 6 2008 11:07 AM

Byzantine:
And you were doing so well ...

lol. That was my EXACT thought!  Sad

"The best way to bail out the economy is with liberty, not with federal reserve notes." - pairunoyd

"The vision of the Austrian must be greater than the blindness of the sheeple." - pairunoyd

Not Ranked
Posts 18
Points 465
Camlon replied on Sat, Sep 6 2008 4:13 PM

Well, the only thing I know about Austrian Economics is that it's conservative. I didn't come here because you are doing Austrian economics, but because you talk economics and will not answer my question with arguments not based on economics. To say it another way. This is the only economic forum I have seen on the web.

I am looking at the economic arguments for doing it. Whatever, Mugabe had as intention isn't interesting, but you made me realize I should change my heading a bit. And I don't see why you suddenly think i'm stupid now.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Camlon:
Well, the only thing I know about Austrian Economics is that it's conservative.

No.

Camlon:
I didn't come here because you are doing Austrian economics, but because you talk economics and will not answer my question with arguments not based on economics. To say it another way. This is the only economic forum I have seen on the web.

Fair enough.

Camlon:
And I don't see why you suddenly think i'm stupid now.

Unfortunately, a few of the intellectual geniuses here waste the platform as an opportunity to spread their ideology, and may inadvertently crap on anyone new who doesn't know a lot about economics, libertarianism or Austrian Econ.

Welcome to Mises!

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Well, the only thing I know about Austrian Economics is that it's conservative.

No, it isn't. The founding fathers of both Austrianism and neo-Austrianism were classical liberals, and repudiated conservatism.

I didn't come here because you are doing Austrian economics, but because you talk economics and will not answer my question with arguments not based on economics. To say it another way. This is the only economic forum I have seen on the web.

We consider theories of imperfect competition to be largely nonsense, even in the abstract. So no one here will argue based on such constructs. I'm not even sure you're correct within the confines of neoclassical theory itself.

I am looking at the economic arguments for doing it. Whatever, Mugabe had as intention isn't interesting, but you made me realize I should change my heading a bit. And I don't see why you suddenly think i'm stupid now.

We do?

-Jon

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 1,180
Wren replied on Sun, Sep 7 2008 3:45 AM

You're correct, Camlon.  The monopolistic competition model is more appropriate in this case than is the perfect competition one, exactly for the reasons you laid out.  Has your teacher told you why he disagrees with you on this issue?

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 1,180
Wren replied on Sun, Sep 7 2008 4:20 AM

Camlon, Austrian economics is not "conservative."  What really separates Austrian economics from other neo-classical economics is the way the subject is studied.  Check out some works under Methodology in the Literature section if you want to know what I'm talking about.  Austrians don't accept/use stuff like perfect competition or imperfect competition.  You can read Austrian analysis and critrique of such here (read the 10th chapter, "Monopoloy and Competition," and in particular section 5, "The Theory of Monopolistic or Imperfect Competition")

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Sun, Sep 7 2008 7:15 AM

Camlon:
Well, I have a dispute with my teacher about Zimbabwe. Most of us know that Robert Mugabe tried to remove the white ownership of farms with quite a lot of negative consequences. I'm looking for possible reasons for why he choose to do that. We both agree that one of the reasons is that he want to distrubute the income.
  He actually didn't choose it. It were some of his supporters that did do so. He just chose not to oppose them invading the farms of White people in Zimbabwe. Nevertheless he may have political reasons for his choices. Actually he got more pressure from the opposition MDC. The MDC was mainly driven by middle class Black Zimbabweans. However they did get their financial supports from wealthy White Zimbabweans. Mugabe had a choice to either crush on these middle class Blacks or dry them out financially. He chose to dry out the MDC financially by allowing the White farms to be invaded. That this ruined Zimbabwes economy is of course another matter.

Mugabe may not know how to manage an agricultural economy correctly. But he certainly knows how political power works and how to stay in office.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Sat, Sep 20 2008 7:34 AM

Wren:
You're correct, Camlon.  The monopolistic competition model is more appropriate in this case than is the perfect competition one, exactly for the reasons you laid out

It seems they came to some kind of an arrangement in Zimbabwe.

Zimbabwe Civil Society Groups Take Stock Of Power-Sharing Deal

19 September 2008

Members of Zimbabwe's National Constitutional Assembly met on Friday in Harare to review the power-sharing agreement signed by the country's major parties and concluded that the accord brings little real change to the political landscape.

The NCA said President Robert Mugabe will exercise considerably more power in the new government than incoming prime minister Morgan Tsvangirai of the Movement for Democratic Change, long the opposition party before its combined formations secured a majority in parliament in general elections in March of this year.

The NCA also took issue with Article 6 of the accord regarding a new constitution, saying that the section refers to a draft constitution compiled in 2007 by ZANU-PF and MDC officials in the town of Kariba, not to the "people-driven" version the NCA wants.

NCA spokesman Maddock Chivasa told reporter Jonga Kandemiiri of VOA's Studio 7 for Zimbabwe that the organization will keep pressing for a people-driven constitution.

The 22 member organizations of the Crisis in Zimbabwe Coalition also met on Friday and agreed a lot remains to be done on the political front despite the power-sharing accord.

Issues taken up by the group included the new constitution and the role of parliament.

Crisis in Zimbabwe Coalition Spokesman Macdonald Lewanika told reporter Carole Gombakomba of VOA's Studio 7 for Zimbabwe that while civil society was not directly involved in the talks, there is a lot of work to be done rebuilding democracy.

http://voanews.com/english/Africa/Zimbabwe/2008-09-19-voa45.cfm

I plan to visit Zimbabwe next month.

Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 633
Points 11,275
Torsten replied on Tue, Nov 4 2008 7:29 AM

It has been a while. Actually I have been to Zimbabwe during October to explore opportunities in Mining (Chrome, Diamonds, Gold, Platinum group metals). One pays amounts between Z$ 10.000 to 1.000.000 for daily expensives. Rands and US Dollars are accepted and used as well. The prices on menues of Restaurants go up daily. Many shops are empty and many goods are traded on the Black market. Zimbabweans can only draw Z$50.000 per day from their bank accounts in cash and business is mainly conducted with cheques.

Page 1 of 1 (24 items) | RSS