Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

DEAR OVERLORDS: Any chance of putting the free items from the Library on Feedbooks?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 150
vertesi posted on Sat, Oct 4 2008 2:38 AM

Feedbooks has become a major central source for free reading materials.  It's accessed by Kindle devices, Sony eReaders, and now the iPhone reader Stanza.  Is there any way to get some of the free texts - even just the fundamentals like Human Action and maybe Economics for Regular People - on there?

IMHO, the best market to hit in ereaders is the iPhone crowd.  Partly because I'm one of them, but also because their reader market share is through the roof.  In a month they've gotten more installs than Amazon Kindle's entire anticipated 2008 sales.  I mention this because there are other formats supported by Stanza... I believe that you can include your online books in Stanza if they're in epub format.  Or Munseys.com might be another option...?

Just trying to get the word out! :)

Oh, and before anyone says it, I know that Stanza desktop will "convert" PDFs and share them with your iphone... but it doesn't preserve linebreaks or formatting!  :(

All Replies

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 150

update from 5 minutes into the future:

This will help with looking for info on how to do the conversion, or on how to get a repository included on Stanza:

http://developer.lexcycle.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
331 Posts
Points 9,905
SystemAdministrator

I think the Mises Institute staff are too busy just getting books scanned and online. I'm sure they wouldn't mind if some volunteers converted and made some of the books available.

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 150

Dude, I'd be all over that like an American on a social program... but I'd want a written guarantee first that I wasn't violating anyone's copyright.  Cause probably the first few books I'd want to transfer would be Human Action, Man Economy and State, and Economics for Regular People.  They're all pretty definitely under copyright, so I'd just want to make sure. :)

So, overlords?  If someone can confirm for me the policy on this, I'd be happy to help replicate formats...

Top 150 Contributor
Male
597 Posts
Points 12,920
Staff
SystemAdministrator
Suggested by Chieftain1776

If you find a PDF online, it is ready to go. I know no exceptions to that.

Publisher, Laissez-Faire Books

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS