Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Greenspan Finds Flaw in Free Markets

This post has 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 95
Points 2,105
richie2044 Posted: Thu, Oct 23 2008 11:23 AM

Perhaps the best line from all of this non-sense was this statement:

Committee Chairman Henry Waxman, a California Democrat, said Greenspan had ``the authority to prevent irresponsible lending practices that led to the subprime mortgage crisis.''

Incredible.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aJ8os6vTknLk&refer=home

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 72
Points 1,610
Julio replied on Thu, Oct 23 2008 11:35 AM

I WOULD ADVICE HIM TO KEEP FINDING MORE FLAWS IF HE WANTS TO LEAVE A NAME BEFORE HIS END.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 451
Points 9,765
Rubén replied on Thu, Oct 23 2008 12:40 PM

Greenspan has always acted first as a politician, as a super rock star. Someone like Madonna, Ricky Martin and the like.

He probably forgot during those twenty years he was supposed to be an economist

Art transcends ideology.

http://mises.org/Community/blogs/ruben

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Points 3,075

Forgive me if I am wrong, but the two comments previous to me are left by the kind of totally irrelevant economists that make reading these forums unbearable.  Is there anyway we can stop this?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 768
Points 12,035
ladyattis replied on Thu, Oct 23 2008 9:36 PM

Greenspan's opinion is about as revelant as any other talking head's opinion at this point.

"The power of liberty going forward is in decentralization.  Not in leaders, but in decentralized activism.  In a market process." -- liberty student

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 72
Points 840
Paul replied on Fri, Oct 24 2008 1:57 AM

The most disappointing statement yet from him. I love the 60s Greenspan. In his memoirs he mentions 'Gold and economic freedom' and 'Antitrust,' but not 'The assault on integrity,' which is a beautiful refutation of any regulating practices.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 72
Points 1,610
Julio replied on Fri, Oct 24 2008 7:11 AM

Jonathan:

Forgive me if I am wrong, but the two comments previous to me are left by the kind of totally irrelevant economists that make reading these forums unbearable.  Is there anyway we can stop this?

Very easy......stop reading

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Points 3,075

Julio:

Jonathan:

Very easy......stop reading

Even easier, stop writing.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 743
Points 11,795

There's no reason to be a jerk about it. Don't be so sensitive to what some people write.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 451
Points 9,765
Rubén replied on Fri, Oct 24 2008 10:09 PM

Jonathan:

Dude,

I am not an economist.
I signed up on this forum less than two weeks ago exactly because I wish to learn Economics. Most of my other posts actually have a more serious tone. This is a forum, not a thesis dissertation. I little sense of humor sometimes does not harm anyone.
And what I meant is that I perceived that during his last term in office, Mr. Greenspan seemed more concerned on the media coverage than on the actual impact of economics policies he was applying.
Whether or not you agree with my opinion is irrelevant. I am expressing an opinion, not proving mathematical truth.

Art transcends ideology.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 202
Points 3,075

Rubén:

Jonathan:

Dude,

I am not an economist.
I signed up on this forum less than two weeks ago exactly because I wish to learn Economics. Most of my other posts actually have a more serious tone. This is a forum, not a thesis dissertation. I little sense of humor sometimes does not harm anyone.
And what I meant is that I perceived that during his last term in office, Mr. Greenspan seemed more concerned on the media coverage than on the actual impact of economics policies he was applying.
Whether or not you agree with my opinion is irrelevant. I am expressing an opinion, not proving mathematical truth.

Prefacing a response with "Dude" is a great way for instant respect.  Some of us greatly appreciate and respect these forums and like to use them to toss around genuine ideas and thought, and I for one would love it if we could keep things relatively learning based.

Also, if you are so new, how in the name of God do you have an MVP below your name?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050

Jonathan:

Rubén:

Jonathan:

Dude,

I am not an economist.

Prefacing a response with "Dude" is a great way for instant respect.  Some of us greatly appreciate and respect these forums and like to use them to toss around genuine ideas and thought, and I for one would love it if we could keep things relatively learning based.

Also, if you are so new, how in the name of God do you have an MVP below your name?

Bad Season?  :\

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 955
bigwig replied on Sat, Oct 25 2008 3:23 PM

I like how he subtly strives for sympathy. "Sorry everyone, I was just too trusting. Faith in human nature. It's my only fault, really."

Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 946
Points 15,410
MacFall replied on Sun, Oct 26 2008 10:20 PM

Jonathan:

Rubén:

Jonathan:

Dude,

I am not an economist.

Dude, lighten up. There's nothing in the forum rules against a little lighthearted discussion. And besides, this topic is quite relevant.

Pro Christo et Libertate integre!

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 151
Points 2,240
nje5019 replied on Sun, Oct 26 2008 10:40 PM

Jonathan:

question seconded.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 451
Points 9,765
Rubén replied on Sun, Oct 26 2008 10:54 PM

What does MVP mean?

Art transcends ideology.

Page 1 of 1 (16 items) | RSS