Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

How would a private road system work?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 43 Replies | 11 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Male
853 Posts
Points 17,830
Graham Wright posted on Wed, Nov 5 2008 2:08 PM
Why would anybody want to own a road, unless they intend to make it a toll road? Would this mean that all roads become toll roads?

Only one highway exists between my town and my nearest city. Won't the owner of this highway then have a virtual monopoly and be able to charge as much as he likes?

What if the owner of a major highway wanted to prevent some arbritary group, say, Norwegians, from using the highway, and felt so strongly that he went to great lengths to make sure no Norwegians drove on his road? Is there anything to stop him? Would the Norwegians have to find another route?

What is to stop someone buying up the roads that surround my house and decides that I cannot go on it? Am I a prisoner in my own home?

Please can someone explain this briefly and/or provide links?

Thanks,

Truth and Liberty.com
  • | Post Points: 140

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
4,532 Posts
Points 84,495
Verified by liberty student

Juan:
I'm afraid I still don't get it. Are you saying companies don't strive to lower prices in order to attract new customers ?

A company cannot set prices lower than it has supply to meet demand. It cannot set prices higher than it wants to keep supply in reserve. Ultimately it is the demanders that choose prices as much as the company.

Juan:

Let's say supplier 1 is more efficient than supplier 2, so supplier 1 can sell at a lower price, which benefits consumers and at the same time forces supplier 2 out of business...I thought that's what competition was all about, no ?

If supplier 1 is more efficient than supplier 2, then it will make more profit from selling its supply, but it won't be able to sell at a lower price unless it has produced enough supply to meet all the demand for the good. If it has not then there will be a shortage from supplier 1 and supplier 2 will be able to sell the same good at higher prices.

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Male
224 Posts
Points 3,785

Stranger:

I am confused about your question. Why wouldn't a company have the incentive to urbanize their land because they have a lot of it?

I am not saying that they wouldnt have incentive to urbanize their land.  I am asking if a company loses some incentive to keep prices low for consumers if their is no chance that they can be challenged by another firm because they physically own the land. 

...And nobody has ever taught you how to live out on the street, But now you're gonna have to get used to it...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
4,532 Posts
Points 84,495

mr_anonymous:

I am not saying that they wouldnt have incentive to urbanize their land.  I am asking if a company loses some incentive to keep prices low for consumers if their is no chance that they can be challenged by another firm because they physically own the land. 

A company has an incentive to supply as much as there is demand for a good. The existence or nonexistence of another producer makes no difference in how it prices, other than it makes it possible to make economies in overhead and supply more in aggregate.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,538 Posts
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Wed, Nov 5 2008 9:25 PM
Stranger:
A company has an incentive to supply as much as there is demand for a good. The existence or nonexistence of another producer makes no difference in how it prices,...
Does that mean that there's no such thing as competition ? Or am I misunderstanding(...) you as usual ?
...other than it makes it possible to make economies in overhead and supply more in aggregate.
?

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
4,532 Posts
Points 84,495

Competition exists with all other choices that demanders can make. It is not very relevant when a consumer is choosing to buy crude oil from supplier 1 or supplier 2. It's the same good and the same global supply.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
224 Posts
Points 3,785

Juan:
The existence or nonexistence of another producer makes no difference in how it prices,...[/

I am also a bit confused..

...And nobody has ever taught you how to live out on the street, But now you're gonna have to get used to it...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,538 Posts
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Wed, Nov 5 2008 9:51 PM
Stranger:
Competition exists with all other choices that demanders can make.
I can parse that sentence but it doesn't make much sense...
It is not very relevant when a consumer is choosing to buy crude oil from supplier 1 or supplier 2. It's the same good and the same global supply.
I'm afraid I still don't get it. Are you saying companies don't strive to lower prices in order to attract new customers ?

Let's say supplier 1 is more efficient than supplier 2, so supplier 1 can sell at a lower price, which benefits consumers and at the same time forces supplier 2 out of business...I thought that's what competition was all about, no ?

Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

Top 25 Contributor
4,532 Posts
Points 84,495
Verified by liberty student

Juan:

A company cannot set prices lower than it has supply to meet demand. It cannot set prices higher than it wants to keep supply in reserve. Ultimately it is the demanders that choose prices as much as the company.

Juan:

If supplier 1 is more efficient than supplier 2, then it will make more profit from selling its supply, but it won't be able to sell at a lower price unless it has produced enough supply to meet all the demand for the good. If it has not then there will be a shortage from supplier 1 and supplier 2 will be able to sell the same good at higher prices.

• | Post Points: 40
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,538 Posts
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Wed, Nov 5 2008 10:52 PM
Stranger:
Obviously. Prices are mutually agreed upon. No news there...
If supplier 1 is more efficient than supplier 2, then it will make more profit from selling its supply, but it won't be able to sell at a lower price unless it has produced enough supply to meet all the demand for the good.
Yes, and that is exactly what it will do - it will produce more and sell the good cheaper. Again, it's called competition. Maybe you're trying(and failing) to prove that competition in a free society doesn't really matter because your idea of a free society is actually some sort of monarchy where people live as tenants in land 'privately' owned...?

Top 25 Contributor
4,532 Posts
Points 84,495

Juan:
Yes, and that is exactly what it will do - it will produce more and sell the good cheaper. Again, it's called competition. Maybe you're trying(and failing) to prove that competition in a free society doesn't really matter because your idea of a free society is actually some sort of monarchy where people live as tenants in land 'privately' owned...?

I don't see how that follows. People who rent because they don't want the hassle of being landowners will benefit from competition between all the landowners.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,538 Posts
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Thu, Nov 6 2008 10:51 AM
Stranger:
I don't see how that follows.
Never mind my comment about your motives. The point is, this assertion of yours
A company has an incentive to supply as much as there is demand for a good. The existence or nonexistence of another producer makes no difference in how it prices, other than it makes it possible to make economies in overhead and supply more in aggregate.
is false.

With respect to
People who rent because they don't want the hassle of being landowners will benefit from competition between all the landowners.
that's true, but not related to the subjects being discussed. Oh, wait. You were arguing that competition doesn't really matter - but now it does ?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Male
224 Posts
Points 3,785

Okay, I am still confused about some aspects of this.. I know this question is kind of random and not directly related to the thread, but its not worth starting a new one for.  Does anyone know of any specific pieces (either essays, books, papers, mises.org audio etc.) that go into detail about how a private road system would work.  I know someone mentioned Walter Block, but I was hoping somebody might know of a specific piece by Block, or any one else for that matter...

Thanks

Top 25 Contributor
4,532 Posts
Points 84,495

Juan:
Stranger:
I don't see how that follows.
Never mind my comment about your motives. The point is, this assertion of yours
is false.

With respect to
People who rent because they don't want the hassle of being landowners will benefit from competition between all the landowners.
that's true, but not related to the subjects being discussed. Oh, wait. You were arguing that competition doesn't really matter - but now it does ?

Competition does not matter in how prices are set, because prices are always set by the equilibrium in supply and demand. Whether there is one or many supplier makes no difference to that. If I am the only supplier and I supply more, I will earn a lower price.

If I am the only landowner and I make more land available to rent, I will earn a lower price. The amount I rent out will depend on the marginal cost of producing land to rent. The optimal amount of land that I will rent is set by the market, not me.

Top 25 Contributor
4,532 Posts
Points 84,495

mr_anonymous:

Okay, I am still confused about some aspects of this.. I know this question is kind of random and not directly related to the thread, but its not worth starting a new one for.  Does anyone know of any specific pieces (either essays, books, papers, mises.org audio etc.) that go into detail about how a private road system would work.  I know someone mentioned Walter Block, but I was hoping somebody might know of a specific piece by Block, or any one else for that matter...

Thanks

This is a good index: http://marketurbanism.com/academic-links/

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,538 Posts
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Thu, Nov 6 2008 11:58 AM
Stranger:
Competition does not matter in how prices are set,
Nonsense.
because prices are always set by the equilibrium in supply and demand.
There's no equilibrium in a free market -- that's a bogus neoclassical concept.
Whether there is one or many supplier makes no difference to that.
More nonsense.
The amount I rent out will depend on the marginal cost of producing land to rent.
Nobody produces land.
The optimal amount of land that I will rent is set by the market, not me.
False. A landowner can rent all his land or none of it if he so wishes. The amount is decided both by him and the would-be tenants. And whether there's only one producer of a good, or many, does make a difference both in pricing and quality.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
224 Posts
Points 3,785

Stranger:

Great Information.  Thank you!

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS