Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Mandelbrot and Taleb think this crisis is going to be as bad as the American Revolution [video]

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 70
Bluebird Posted: Mon, Dec 22 2008 11:46 AM

Here's an interesting video I came across today which features Mandelbrot -- a mathematician famous for his work on fractals, and Taleb -- who's famous for his book "The Black Swan".

What are your thoughts on the video and on their understanding of economic theory and the events happening currently in the world?

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Taleb is generally very good on methodological matters. He's written articles against methodological monism and the "physics" envy pervasive in economics.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 30
Points 575

Old post.  I know, but Taleb has been trawling around Davos for the past week or so.  Rich, influential people seem to have taken a liking to him.

I wish someone would introduce Taleb to Mises and Hayek.  His book "The Black Swan" discussed epistemological problems with mainstream economics and I found his arguments on economic data sets to be strangely similar to Hayek's Pretense of Knowledge speech.  He has a very fertile mind and man who has spent a lot time alone with his thoughts. 

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

He does discuss Hayek in one of his works actually, but briefly, and favourably. He has a theory he calls "academic libertarianism", whereby he treats academia like libertarians treat government. Curiously he thinks we don't already have such a theory. He's an interesting figure and would be worth converting.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,538
Points 93,790
Juan replied on Thu, Feb 5 2009 9:20 PM
I''m not sure (should google...) but I think he's a friend of Bill Bonner's. At any rate I'm sure I've seen some of his articles published in the Daily Reckoning.

February 17 - 1600 - Giordano Bruno is burnt alive by the catholic church.
Aquinas : "much more reason is there for heretics, as soon as they are convicted of heresy, to be not only excommunicated but even put to death."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 11,343
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

This is another good video.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS