Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

High standard of living and the welfare state

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 26 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
341 Posts
Points 6,375
sirmonty posted on Mon, Jan 5 2009 1:18 AM

"The nations with the highest standards of living have strongly entrenched welfare states."

How should a Libertarian address this statement?

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
3,739 Posts
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Mon, Jan 5 2009 3:10 AM

"The states with strongly entrenched welfare systems are as a rule stagnating economically , even when all other conditions such as accumulated capital, skilled workforce and developed infrastructure imply, they are otherwise in the best position to continue advancing rapidly."

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Male
304 Posts
Points 3,965

As confusion of cause and effect.  Welfare states are entrenched because of high standards of living.

Diminishing Marginal Utility - IT'S THE LAW!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
341 Posts
Points 6,375

Also, I'd like to ask why places like Singapore and Hong Kong don't have higher ratings on the UN Human Developement index, despite having such (relative) economic freedom?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

sirmonty:

Also, I'd like to ask why places like Singapore and Hong Kong don't have higher ratings on the UN Human Developement index, despite having such (relative) economic freedom?

There's your answer.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

Top 25 Contributor
Male
2,959 Posts
Points 55,095

sirmonty:

And there as well.  Any attempt at measuring "freedom" is pretty flawed, imo.

At most, I think only 5% of the adult population would need to stop cooperating to have real change.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
341 Posts
Points 6,375

GilesStratton:

sirmonty:

Also, I'd like to ask why places like Singapore and Hong Kong don't have higher ratings on the UN Human Developement index, despite having such (relative) economic freedom?

There's your answer.

While I'm not a fan of the UN by any means, I don't think just pointing that out will satisfy many in an argument.

Spideynw:

sirmonty:

And there as well.  Any attempt at measuring "freedom" is pretty flawed, imo.

But why aren't those nations that have some of the freest economies lagging behind those that have massive welfare states?

Doesn't that fact give statists a little bit of ammunition when defending their welfare state?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

sirmonty:
I don't think just pointing that out will satisfy many in an argument.

Why not?

Bob Dylan

Top 500 Contributor
Male
341 Posts
Points 6,375

GilesStratton:

sirmonty:
I don't think just pointing that out will satisfy many in an argument.

Why not?

Because statists are thick? Tongue Tied

Besides, just denouncing things as biased or wrong without pointing out specifically how isn't that great of a tactic in a debate/argument. 

Top 25 Contributor
3,739 Posts
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Mon, Jan 5 2009 8:45 AM

sirmonty:

But why aren't those nations that have some of the freest economies lagging behind those that have massive welfare states?

Is there a typo in there?

Top 100 Contributor
Male
867 Posts
Points 17,790

sirmonty:

Doesn't that fact give statists a little bit of ammunition when defending their welfare state?

When did the process of capital accumulation begin in Europe / the US, when in Hong Kong and Singapore? Even though technology and know-how can easily be copied from countries with a long history of capital accumulation, the average person in developing territories obviously cannot imitate the bank account of those who have been blessed with the fruits of a multigenerational streak of building up and saving.

However, especially the Chinese are catching up. Their personal savings rate is fairly high. While Americans (and European welfarists, for that matter) are currently destroying the foundation of their prosperity by embracing debt and inflation, the Chinese are always expanding it. It'll be an interesting development to observe.

So, when welfarists claim that European nations have a high living standard and a large welfare state, point out how long it took to generate all this wealth and how the welfare state, after first halting this process, is now even reversing it in almost no time.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
304 Posts
Points 3,965

sirmonty:

They have pretty low literacy compared to other developed nations (something like 92%).

Diminishing Marginal Utility - IT'S THE LAW!

Top 500 Contributor
Male
341 Posts
Points 6,375

Marko:

Is there a typo in there?

Yes sorry.

*are

Sphairon:

When did the process of capital accumulation begin in Europe / the US, when in Hong Kong and Singapore? Even though technology and know-how can easily be copied from countries with a long history of capital accumulation, the average person in developing territories obviously cannot imitate the bank account of those who have been blessed with the fruits of a multigenerational streak of building up and saving.

However, especially the Chinese are catching up. Their personal savings rate is fairly high. While Americans (and European welfarists, for that matter) are currently destroying the foundation of their prosperity by embracing debt and inflation, the Chinese are always expanding it. It'll be an interesting development to observe.

So, when welfarists claim that European nations have a high living standard and a large welfare state, point out how long it took to generate all this wealth and how the welfare state, after first halting this process, is now even reversing it in almost no time.

That is a good point.  Very well put, sir.

Solomon:

sirmonty:

They have pretty low literacy compared to other developed nations (something like 92%).

I can smell an argument for public education on the horizon from statists.... Stick out tongue

Top 25 Contributor
3,739 Posts
Points 60,635
Marko replied on Mon, Jan 5 2009 8:56 AM

IMO the best argument to be made is one of rapidity of developement. There is not one case of a welfare state that would be experiencing rapid economic growth. Economic growth has always occured in relatively free conditions. That is true wether we are talking about 19th century Western Europe or the Asian Tiger economies of 60s and 70s.

The welfare state does not send the economy into ruin but it does make it stagnant. So it does not spell doom for people in states that are economicaly relatively well developed, but it is a real tragedy in places which are poor, because it cutts every chance of climbing from poverty. Some of the poorest Eastern European states proudly declare they are "social states" and promise unemployement benefits, universal healthcare, forced pension savings and so forth.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

sirmonty:
Besides, just denouncing things as biased or wrong without pointing out specifically how isn't that great of a tactic in a debate/argument. 

Well, I don't know the specifics of the UN criteria. Nonetheless, it's completely valid to assume that they would be biased. Moreover, the burden of proof is on the person claiming that they are fair to prove it.

Bob Dylan

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS