Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Libertarian War and Foreign Policy books

This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 26
Points 770
Omoplata Posted: Wed, Mar 4 2009 1:40 PM

What are some excellent war/foreign policy books unbiased and revisionist in nature?

I have read Fleming, Chalmers Johnson, DiLorenzo, John V. Denson, Kinzer, the author of Day of Deceit (Stinnett? the name escapes me), Paul, among others...any other quality books along these lines?

For years, I entertained the idea of getting my PhD in history but over the last few years found libertarianism and now I really want to pursue it and turn my PhD cohort upside down.

• | Post Points: 75
Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 383
Points 8,775
Sukrit replied on Mon, Aug 3 2009 7:48 AM

All the authors you have named are excellent. But I was wondering if anyone knows of any British libertarian authors who were non-interventionist? I realize there is Richard Cobden, but anyone else? It seems that Americans dominate the field, but as an Australian I want to read more from other countries.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Omoplata:

What are some excellent war/foreign policy books unbiased and revisionist in nature?

I have read Fleming, Chalmers Johnson, DiLorenzo, John V. Denson, Kinzer, the author of Day of Deceit (Stinnett? the name escapes me), Paul, among others...any other quality books along these lines?

For years, I entertained the idea of getting my PhD in history but over the last few years found libertarianism and now I really want to pursue it and turn my PhD cohort upside down.

I am also trying to apply to PhD programs for history. I would add to your list Thomas Woods' work: We Who Dared to Say No to War. A great collection of anti-war literature and speeches from the left and right. For basic libetarian theory towards foreign policy and war I would add Murray Rothbard's For a New Liberty: The Libertarian Manifesto which has a specific chapter on war and foreign policy and how libertarians should view it.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 79
Points 1,160

I'll give you a list of some books that I have read and books that I would like to read:

How the Far East Was Lost: American Policy and Creation of Communist China by Anthony Kubek

Cold War Diplomacy: American Foreign Policy, 1945-1960  by Norman A. Graebner

The Hidden History of the Cold War by I.F. Stone

Perpetual War, for Perpetual peace edited by Harry Elmer Barnes

Churchill, Hitler, and the Unnecessary War by Patrick J. Buchanan

The Failure of America's Foreign Wars  Richard M. Ebeling

Revisionist Viewpoints: Essays in a Historical Dissident Tradition James J. Martin

Devil's Game: How the U.S Helped Unleash Fundamentalist Islam(American Empire Project) by Robert Dreyfuss

Wilson's War: How Woodrow Wilson's Great Blunder Led to Hitler, Lenin, Stalin, and World War Two by Jim Powell

War at the Top of the World: The Struggle for Afghanistan,Kashmir, and Tibet by Eric Margolis

Pearl Harbor: The Story of Secret War by Charles Austin Beard

The Pentagon Papers(it's long, though)(It's a Department of Defense report)

If you read this, you pretty much know it all, there's a lot more but that's a good portion of it. Let's not forget that these books and essays could reiterate certain points, but they're great.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 1,649
Points 28,420

http://mises.org/journals/jls/2_4/2_4_2.pdf

Democracy means the opportunity to be everyone's slave.—Karl Kraus.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 700
Alice replied on Tue, Aug 18 2009 3:40 PM

Freda Utley's The High Cost of Vengeance is interesting.

"The first Accounts we have of Mankind are but so many Accounts of their Butcheries.
All Empires have been cemented in Blood..."

- Edmund Burke, A Vindication of Natural Society

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS