Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Will the Obama Administration Criminalize HomeSchooling?

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 39
Points 1,155
SouthernHero Posted: Fri, Mar 13 2009 11:32 PM

What this disgusting joke of an emperor has done to the American people economically is going to be absolutely nothing compared to his insane domestic social policy that is sure to be quickly coming.  I can only imagine how he is going to expand the scope and coercive power of the federal government in regards to how we raise our own children.  

For all of our and mine complaining and critiquing, I can truly say that if he outlaws homeschooling ( a la Germany in 1937 and 2008 ) that my family and I will leave America.

My question to you is, will obama do this, and when?  Any guesses?  

“We ought to obey God rather than men.”  -Acts 5:29.

"Slaves before God, free before all others."  -Boer Motto.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,221
Points 34,050
Nitroadict replied on Sat, Mar 14 2009 11:14 AM

SouthernHero:

What this disgusting joke of an emperor has done to the American people economically is going to be absolutely nothing compared to his insane domestic social policy that is sure to be quickly coming.  I can only imagine how he is going to expand the scope and coercive power of the federal government in regards to how we raise our own children.  

For all of our and mine complaining and critiquing, I can truly say that if he outlaws homeschooling ( a la Germany in 1937 and 2008 ) that my family and I will leave America.

He will not do this.  The religious folks who homeschool would revolt terribly, perhaps enough to question the state on many other things as well, assuming they do not manage to get a legality thrown in to protect them (pretty likley, considering lobbying).

If homeschooling was allowed for religion, well it looks like I'll be creating a "libertarian religion" at some point after all...

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,985
Points 90,430

Nitroadict:

SouthernHero:

He will not do this.  The religious folks who homeschool would revolt terribly, perhaps enough to question the state on many other things as well, assuming they do not manage to get a legality thrown in to protect them (pretty likley, considering lobbying).

If homeschooling was allowed for religion, well it looks like I'll be creating a "libertarian religion" at some point after all...

I tend to agree with this. In any case the government rarely bans things outright anymore, just like it doesn't nationalize industries outright. It'll more than likely do what it can to make homeschooling unfeasible.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 867
Points 17,790
Sphairon replied on Sat, Mar 14 2009 11:46 AM

Nitroadict:

Since politics is about compromises, and "homeschooling = religious fundamentalist nazi polar-bear-killing bad" won't be a tough sell, you could very likely wind up with a compromise of state-supervised, voucher-financed parochial schools. Then, they could even twist it as having a "libertarian angle" since you now get teh voucherz for a choice between state curriculums with and without God.

Alternatively, you might get a new constitutional amendment, sort of like this one:

The entire school system shall be under the supervision of the state.
Parents and guardians shall have the right to decide whether children shall receive religious instruction.
The right to establish private schools shall be guaranteed. Private schools that serve as alternatives to state schools shall require the approval of the state and shall be subject to the laws of the states. Such approval shall be given when private schools are not inferior to the state schools in terms of their educational aims, their facilities, or the professional training of their teaching staff, and when segregation of pupils according to the means of their parents will not be encouraged thereby.

That is an excerpt of article 7 of the German constitution. Fasten your seat belts for whatever progressive influences Obama is drawing on.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 253
Points 4,535
Mark B. replied on Sat, Mar 14 2009 11:58 AM

There will not be a de jure criminalization of home schooling.

What there will be is a slow suffocation of home schooling.

Upcoming amendments to NCLB will probably be the vehicle for this suffocation.  Testing requirements.  Curriculum certification requirements.  Reporting requirements.  Teacher certification requirements.  They will simply pile on the requirements and obstacles until the point is reached where parrents simply give up in frustration and turn to public or private school.

If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home and leave us in peace. We seek not your council, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Top 150 Contributor
Male
Posts 516
Points 7,190
bbnet replied on Sat, Mar 14 2009 12:31 PM

A judge in Wake County said three Raleigh children need to switch from home school to public school.

We are the soldiers for righteousness
And we are not sent here by the politicians you drink with - L. Dube, rip

Not Ranked
Posts 39
Points 1,155

That is true, some states are worse than others about these sorts of restrictions, and I just hope the obamanation does not federalize the whole thing.

Not Ranked
Posts 39
Points 1,155

I saw that case earlier... and this is what I'm talking about.  Though it is done through judicial means, it is a way of setting up something worse to come, I think.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS