Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Gold and Silver are often stated as perfect metals for use as money. Would Platinum and Palladium work?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
318 Posts
Points 4,560
Wanderer posted on Tue, Jul 28 2009 9:29 AM

Both Platinum and Palladium are made into coins http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Platinum_coin http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palladium_coin

Is there any particular reason Gold and Silver are talked about and those two are excluded?

Periodically the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots.

Thomas Jefferson

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
1,649 Posts
Points 28,420
Suggested by liberty student

1. I am guessing the reason you hear about gold and silver more is that there is a much broader history of those metals in use.

2. I suspect that true free markets would use platinum or whatever more rare metals, maybe more between banks than in circulation, or using "$1 bills" worth a speck of palladium.

3. I think a free market for currency means whatever commodity could be used in exchange, maybe petro-dollars. Vegetable-oil-dollars would be less likely because of the effort required to warehouse significant values (plus it probably goes rancid and gold doesn't).

Democracy means the opportunity to be everyone's slave.—Karl Kraus.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
11,343 Posts
Points 194,945
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

E. R. Olovetto:
1. I am guessing the reason you hear about gold and silver more is that there is a much broader history of those metals in use.

Very true.  In the jewelry trade, platinum never caught on, I suspect partly because it is so expensive, and then because it looks too much like silver to the untrained eye.

"When you're young you worry about people stealing your ideas, when you're old you worry that they won't." - David Friedman
Top 500 Contributor
Male
318 Posts
Points 4,560

Thanks guys :D

Periodically the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots.

Thomas Jefferson

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
901 Posts
Points 15,900

liberty student:
Very true.  In the jewelry trade, platinum never caught on, I suspect partly because it is so expensive, and then because it looks too much like silver to the untrained eye.

Perhaps platinum will be used as money in a future space-based society.  IIRC, platinum group metals are relatively common (compared to gold and silver) on M-type asteroids, and assuming it retains a generally high market price compared to its mass, it wouldn't take much delta-v to lug large amounts around, compared to the alternatives.

/space cadet rambling Smile

Market anarchist, Linux geek, aspiring Perl hacker, and student of the neo-Aristotelians, the classical individualist anarchists, and the Austrian school.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
318 Posts
Points 4,560
Wanderer replied on Tue, Jul 28 2009 11:00 PM

wombatron:

Perhaps platinum will be used as money in a future space-based society.  IIRC, platinum group metals are relatively common (compared to gold and silver) on M-type asteroids, and assuming it retains a generally high market price compared to its mass, it wouldn't take much delta-v to lug large amounts around, compared to the alternatives.

/space cadet rambling Smile

Ooooooh, very interesting, I did not know that...

Thomas Jefferson

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS