Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

How does one buy gold from a gold mining company in economy using gold as money?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Male
9 Posts
Points 250
Dave Doctor posted on Sat, Aug 8 2009 9:43 PM
How does one buy gold from a gold mining company in economy using gold as money? I expect the buyer must use another type of money such as silver.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 200 Contributor
Male
444 Posts
Points 6,230
Verified by Dave Doctor

You could use whatever the company would accept as payment. 

You would probably be able to pay using silver as you have stated, but you would also be able to buy gold with gold coins.  Those would carry slightly higher value then the unminted gold from the mine.

My long term project to get every PDF into EPUB: Mises Books

EPUB requests/News: (Semi-)Official Mises.org EPUB Release Topic

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 200 Contributor
Male
444 Posts
Points 6,230
Verified by Dave Doctor

You could use whatever the company would accept as payment. 

You would probably be able to pay using silver as you have stated, but you would also be able to buy gold with gold coins.  Those would carry slightly higher value then the unminted gold from the mine.

My long term project to get every PDF into EPUB: Mises Books

EPUB requests/News: (Semi-)Official Mises.org EPUB Release Topic

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
396 Posts
Points 5,565

"How does one buy gold from a gold mining company in economy using gold as money?"

i wondered this as well.  

aside from the technical aspect of getting existing gold money into the hands of a mining operation to begin mining....basically, i guess if a mining cost estimate concluded  that 100grams of existing goldmoney could get 120grams of gold (in ore) out of the mine, hopefully the additional 20grams of newly mined gold above cost would cover the cost of refining the ore and getting the refined gold to whomever needed for whatever use it was going to.  

be it money itself or jewelery or golds other industrial uses.

others may be able to clarify or correct this assesment

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
1,879 Posts
Points 29,735

Dave Doctor:
How does one buy gold from a gold mining company in economy using gold as money? I expect the buyer must use another type of money such as silver.

Who do you buy money from today?

The gold miners would spend the gold into circulation.

Peace

Top 150 Contributor
515 Posts
Points 8,495
fsk replied on Sun, Aug 9 2009 2:10 PM

Another possibility is that the gold mining business could sell a gold bond/future.

Suppose that that interest rates are 3%, the gold mining business expects to mine 1000 ounces in the next year, but its immediate expenses are 100 ounces of gold.

The gold miner sells a 103 ounce gold future for 100 ounces of gold.  In a year, the gold miner pays off the bond with the mined gold.  The remaining 897 ounces is merely spent into circulation.

When gold is money, a gold futures contract and a bond are the same thing.

I have my own blog at FSK's Guide to Reality. Let me know if you like it.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS