Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Please abstain from quoting posts excessively

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 331
Points 9,905
SystemAdministrator
David V Posted: Wed, Jan 9 2008 9:43 PM

When you quote someone, please only quote the specific text you are responding to.  Don't merely click "quote" in response to a lengthy posts.

If it's too difficult to follow a discussion because there are too many topics in a thread, it's probably because it's off-topic and needs to be split up.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 512
Points 8,730
pairunoyd replied on Tue, Jan 15 2008 4:14 PM

Hero, believe it or not, I think much of it has to do with not knowing how to do what you suggest. It would probably help if you including a tool, tutorial, hint, etc. All I do is highlight the text I want to quote and click quote, but some folk probably don't know how to do it.

Maybe just above the quote button you could add, Highlight text you wish to quote then click here. Something along those lines. They also might not be aware that they can select the text, quote it and then later in there post select additional text and quote it. They might think you only get one quote and if you try to quote more than once it'll delete all your current comments, quotes. It easy for me to get into their heads because I'm esp. challenged. Party!!!

"The best way to bail out the economy is with liberty, not with federal reserve notes." - pairunoyd

"The vision of the Austrian must be greater than the blindness of the sheeple." - pairunoyd

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 512
Points 8,730
pairunoyd replied on Tue, Jan 15 2008 4:49 PM

In fact, you COULD disallow wholesale quoting of unselected text. If someone simply clicks Quote you could have a message that says, Please Highlight/Select Text You Wish To Quote.

"The best way to bail out the economy is with liberty, not with federal reserve notes." - pairunoyd

"The vision of the Austrian must be greater than the blindness of the sheeple." - pairunoyd

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Male
Posts 76
Points 1,110

HeroicLife:

When you quote someone, please only quote the specific text you are responding to.  Don't merely click "quote" in response to a lengthy posts.

If it's too difficult to follow a discussion because there are too many topics in a thread, it's probably because it's off-topic and needs to be split up

Okay.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 297
Points 4,060
macsnafu replied on Wed, Jan 16 2008 2:06 PM

pairunoyd:
All I do is highlight the text I want to quote and click quote, but some folk probably don't know how to do it.

Yep.  I didn't realize I could do that until I did it one time by accident.  I had been hitting the 'quote' button and then deleting the parts I didn't need.

Top 200 Contributor
Male
Posts 480
Points 9,370

pairunoyd:
In fact, you COULD disallow wholesale quoting of unselected text. If someone simply clicks Quote you could have a message that says, Please Highlight/Select Text You Wish To Quote.
Hold on a minute. There could certainly be a legitimate disparity in computer technical abilities but I think you are asking to be spoon-fed. 

The default of the Reply function does not automatically include the quotation.  As you pointed out, somebody has to deliberately click the Quote button for the problem to arise.  

I think it is perfectly reasonable to demand that people refrain from excessive quotations.  

Before calling yourself a libertarian or an anarchist, read this.  
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS