Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Which university has the most libertarians?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Male
383 Posts
Points 8,775
Sukrit posted on Sat, Sep 5 2009 9:40 AM

I don't mean in a particular faculty, but across the board in total.

Which PhD granting American university has the most libertarian academics or those sympathetic to libertarianism (not necessarily of the Austrian school)?

• | Post Points: 50

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430
Verified by Sukrit

I'd say GMU by quite a big margin, there's Boettke, Roberts, Williams, Buchanan, Boudreaux, Caplan, Cowen, Leeson, Tullock, Tabarrok and Kling in the econ department (I don't know about the other departments) who are all either libertarians or sympathetic towards libertarianism. Others might be Auburn (Long, Garrison, Yeager), Suffolk and WVU.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
300 Posts
Points 5,325

Hillsdale, maybe.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430
Verified by Sukrit

I'd say GMU by quite a big margin, there's Boettke, Roberts, Williams, Buchanan, Boudreaux, Caplan, Cowen, Leeson, Tullock, Tabarrok and Kling in the econ department (I don't know about the other departments) who are all either libertarians or sympathetic towards libertarianism. Others might be Auburn (Long, Garrison, Yeager), Suffolk and WVU.

Bob Dylan

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,255 Posts
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Loyola New Orleans has Block, Barnett II, D'amico and Austrian-leaning Levendis. Not too bad either. I'm not sure about NYU these days, I don't think Kirzner teaches there anymore.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

I forgot about Loyola, good call. As for NYU, Rizzo still teaches over there but I'm pretty sure Kirzner has retired. Nonetheless, I there's the NYU Colloquium on Market Institutions and Economic Processes.

I think SJSU might also be worth mentioning Hummel, Stringham and Powell all teach there. U of Arizona also has Gerald Gaus and David Schmidtz in the philosophy department.

Bob Dylan

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

Oh, I forgot that Larry White is now over at GMU and I think Horwitz is a visiting professor over there.

Bob Dylan

Top 10 Contributor
Male
5,118 Posts
Points 87,310
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

GilesStratton:

Everyone, notice how the first person Giles mentions is Peter Boettke. Lol. :p

To paraphrase Marc Faber: We're all doomed, but that doesn't mean that we can't make money in the process.
Rabbi Lapin: "Let's make bricks!"
Stephan Kinsella: "Say you and I both want to make a German chocolate cake."

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,850 Posts
Points 85,810

Daniel:
Everyone, notice how the first person Giles mentions is Peter Boettke. Lol. :p

Your theory remains plausible Stick out tongue

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 200 Contributor
Male
383 Posts
Points 8,775

So the University of Chicago and Harvard don't have many free-market people? I know there's a professor of economics at Harvard who keeps calling for the legalization of all drugs.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

Sukrit Sabhlok:

So the University of Chicago and Harvard don't have many free-market people? I know there's a professor of economics at Harvard who keeps calling for the legalization of all drugs.

I know Block has said that both Chicago and Harvard have some free market types. Somebody over at TheAustrianEconomists has noted that a professor at Chicago remarket that U of Chicago is essentialy GMU with more math. So I wouldn't write them off, that said, from what I've heard Chicago is probably less of a free market oriented institute than it used to be.

As for me mentioning Boettke first, it's only natural. Cowen is hardly the exemplar of a libertarian, it's probably somewhat of a dubious claim that Williams, Buchanan and Tullock are libertarians and whilst Caplan is a libertarian, he came after Boettke simply because he's not an Austrian economist (I'm by no means saying that one has to be an Austrian to be a libertarian, just that Boettke came to my mind first for that reason).

On further reflection, Suffolk seems like a good call on my behalf. I remember Powell saying on one of his FEE lectures (the one on Somalia) that he has been "recruiting" libertarians to the PhD programme and that most of the applicants are libertarians.

Bob Dylan

Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,914 Posts
Points 70,630

this got me thinking

i remember a thread discussing the universities that take no government subsidies.  I think Grove City College is one.  I don't know the others.  Does this entail that they also should be added to this list of free market universities?  Do they have professors that teach such things?

"Do not put out the fire of the spirit." 1The 5:19
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS