Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

When will Austrians start the heavy lifting?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 47 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
194 Posts
Points 4,315
Mike posted on Wed, Feb 10 2010 11:38 AM

I am no scholar, I am Joe six pack, though I don’t drink. I have learned much from the Mises.org web site. Yet at this time of great crisis I feel as though most Austrians have been content to sit out of the current fight. With the exceptions of Ron Paul, Tom Woods and Peter Schiff where are the Austrians? It was to be a crisis like the one we currently face that was to open the hearts and minds of the masses. It seems to me that the main stream intellectuals are too committed to their course and perquisites to change their views. Is it time to target Joe the plumber? For even if it is true that only the intellectuals disseminate ideas, who are they disseminating them to?  Ultimately it is up to the masses to ignore their masters and learn that they are all liars.  Now more than ever the people need to hear the basics of why we are in this mess, what it is costing them and what it will cost them. The Joe’s do not care about the theories of liberty, they care about their wallets. You may return to your high work of this and that once Austrian economics is as well know as Marx or Ralph Raico is invited on the Oprah show, whichever comes first. Shouldn’t take too long. Was all the talk about being ready when the “revolution” came just talk? It appears to me to be the case.

Can some smart person out there tell me what every working person “owes” the Fed this year. The math goes something like this;

4+ TRILLION divided by 110 million or so working people, my calculator stopped working after the Carter Admin.

This is what people care about, tell them everyday how much they “owe” the state and ask them if they “voted” for this as they would in a market transaction.

In my most humble opinion every conversation about this mess should include what a TRILLION is. How about these figures;

A million seconds is 12 days.
A billion seconds is 31 years.
A trillion seconds is 31,688 years.

The line that , “ if printing money worked, we would ALL be filthy rich”, is a good one that needs to be repeated ad nauseam.

Time to get to work Austrians and convert the masses as you converted this Joe six pack.

Be responsible, ease suffering; spay or neuter your pets.

We must get them to understand that government solutions are the problem!

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Male
328 Posts
Points 5,650

The Austrians have been doing the "heavy lifting" for the past 139 years. Ultimately, it is ideas which make or break a civilization, and it is the proliferation of good ideas which will foment a new golden age of man. Concurrent to the desecration of the science of economics by the Marxists, the positivists, the Keynesians, and interventionists of all sorts, the Austrian school has been formulating, systematizing, and perfecting it. They have preserved and defended it, brought it from the brink, and expanded it further than previously could have been fathomed. The Austrian school have been the custodians of economic science in its most dire days. One day the world will once again be primed to accept the teachings of economics, and the Austrians will have served their role as the stewards of civilization.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Male
4,850 Posts
Points 85,810

Orthogonal:
Can you be any more specific as to what type of institutions are being setup? Perhaps some of us on the forum would be willing to help in the efforts.

Well things like the Mises circle lectures, some professors are getting involved in other movements to spread the message [ Dr. Thomas Woods comes to mind ]. The Mises institute is always trying to be at the head of cutting edge of information dissemination. This is going to be a great year for information distribution, great books are coming out and big events are planned.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 200 Contributor
467 Posts
Points 7,590

nirgrahamUK:

Live_Free_Or_Die:
Things sell because they are marketed well.  Ideas are no different.
Things sell because people want them, marketing helps people know that a certain product is available for their consideration, and attempts to show people why the seller of the product believes that a persons want would be better satisfied by the product than by an alternative(including no product). people aren't slaves to marketing. 

I am not suggesting people are slaves to marketing.  I am suggesting psychology has techniques that have been refined and are applied on massive scales.  I am suggesting people react to marketing.

Torches of liberty brigade anyone?

Is milk a good source of calcium?

Page 4 of 4 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS