Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Why does Lew Rockwell turn down invitations?

rated by 0 users
This post has 124 Replies | 15 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 268
Points 5,220

But what if I'm not only concerned about my own life? 

Not everybody is a completely self-centered jackass you know....

OBJECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you preface everything you say with the phrase 'studies have shown...' people will believe anything you say no matter how ridiculous. Studies have shown this works 87.64% of the time.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 268
Points 5,220

But they are. They're not actually doing anything. They're just like the college kids who protested Bush; they accomplish nothing but acting sanctimoneous.

This is actually a fair point.  To be honest I dont care much for political activism, since there arent enough libertarains and for the most part we're too disorganized to actually accomplish anything politically(not to mention that our ideas run contrary to the state in the first place)

I'd rather focus on changing people's minds.  If enough minds change, then we'll see some real change to the system.  Its a slow process, but I think its ultimately worth it. 

OBJECTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you preface everything you say with the phrase 'studies have shown...' people will believe anything you say no matter how ridiculous. Studies have shown this works 87.64% of the time.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Male
Posts 917
Points 17,505

SirThinkALot:

But what if I'm not only concerned about my own life? 

Not everybody is a completely self-centered jackass you know....

Yes they are, some people just lie to themselves about it. Evolution at work again. You don't even have any choice. It's not conceptually possible.

I will break in the doors of hell and smash the bolts; there will be confusion of people, those above with those from the lower depths. I shall bring up the dead to eat food like the living; and the hosts of dead will outnumber the living.
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 209
Points 3,595

RJM, you have a rare gene that not many people have. It is called the "I don't care about spreading libertarianism" gene. Don't worry about trying to convince him otherwise, everyone. He has no choice in everything he has been saying.

Check out my video, Ron Paul vs Lincoln! And share my PowerPoint with your favorite neo-con
Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 125
Points 2,085
JeffB replied on Mon, Mar 28 2011 1:19 PM

Ricky James Moore II:

There was a time when I didn't think right either.  I am grateful to Rothbard and others for helping me with that.  I wasn't born an Austro-libertarian.

Because you're an outlier, like 90% of all libertarians are. For that matter, like 90% of Nazis are in the modern world. People who can stray from the herd aren't made, they're born. Where you end up is a matter of environment somewhat, but most people can't if they wanted to. We will always be a minority; they will always 'win' in the large scale. Read Albert Jay Nock or Mencken some time.

I'm not so sure about that. It seems like our founding fathers in the U.S. were able to get some new ways of thinking accepted by the general populace.

Come to think of it, I' currently reading Henry Hazlitt's book, "Economics In One Lesson". It's a 50th anniversary edition and in the forward &/or preface it was mentioned that much of his thought was at one time mainstream. It was "Classical Economics" and the Keynesians were the new kids on the block. In fact, he must have been pretty mainstream himself 50 years ago considering that he worked for the Wall Street Journal and wrote columns for The New York Times & Newsweek for decades. People in multiple generations must have been bright enough to accept his ideas, which seem to me to be pretty commonsensical when explained in a straightforward manner.

Page 4 of 4 (125 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS