Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

My saved favorite posts

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490
Wheylous posted on Wed, Sep 7 2011 9:53 PM

I like to save some posts from the forum as "favorites," but when I go to my favorites page it only displays 3 of the most recent ones. It says that I have 10 total but only shows me 3. How come? Is there some way I could find the rest? Because I saved those posts for a purpose.

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135
Verified by Wheylous

I had this same question shortly after I first started posting here.  I ended up PMing an admin, and got this response back:

"Can't help you, its broke. We will get a new forum before we fix this one."

...Which actually seems to be the default response to just about any inquiry or request made around here.  Forget the fact that most everyone still uses this forum, and isn't migrating over to the new one for a reason.

So, the solution I conceived was to use bookmarks instead.  And to make sure I got all the favorites I had already saved (as of course, there's no way to figure out it's broken until you have saved posts that you can't see), I just bookmarked each favorite and then deleted it from the favorites list.  As the list got shorter, all the older favorites you can't view come to the front page, so you can see them.  I realize it's a local solution and means you can't view your favorites from just anywhere you log in, but still.  Better than nothing.

• | Post Points: 40
Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
Answered (Verified) DD5 replied on Thu, Sep 8 2011 7:42 AM
Verified by Wheylous

As a somewhat [relative] veteran poster (who also greatly appreciates the Mises Institute) let me just say this.   They killed their forum!   This forum use to actually work and was the most interesting, busy and thriving forum on economics and libertarian thought on the Web. There was a time when you had numerous posts per minute at some peak hours, it was hard to keep up.  There were many knowledgeable posters always ready to engage in conversation and debate with anyone.  It was a place you could actually rely on for information and solutions to complex problems on Austrian economics and libertarianism.   There were also many passive readers of this forum who actually believed it to be an interesting and a good source of information.

Now, I am always for change and upgrades into better products.  But in this respect, they screwed up big times!  And I’m only saying this because they seem to be in denial about this.  Can you imagine a restaurant losing so many current customers and potential new ones due to drastic changes and still be in business insisting that you just have to be patient? Perhpas they think that the customers just don't understand or appreciate the new technology and all the hard work put into it. It is the customer's fault!   If this was a for profit service, they would be forced to change their ways already yesterday or today there would be no more forum at all; old or new.

• | Post Points: 55

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135
Verified by Wheylous

I had this same question shortly after I first started posting here.  I ended up PMing an admin, and got this response back:

"Can't help you, its broke. We will get a new forum before we fix this one."

...Which actually seems to be the default response to just about any inquiry or request made around here.  Forget the fact that most everyone still uses this forum, and isn't migrating over to the new one for a reason.

So, the solution I conceived was to use bookmarks instead.  And to make sure I got all the favorites I had already saved (as of course, there's no way to figure out it's broken until you have saved posts that you can't see), I just bookmarked each favorite and then deleted it from the favorites list.  As the list got shorter, all the older favorites you can't view come to the front page, so you can see them.  I realize it's a local solution and means you can't view your favorites from just anywhere you log in, but still.  Better than nothing.

• | Post Points: 40
Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,987 Posts
Points 89,490

Ah, good idea. Thanks!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
2,966 Posts
Points 53,250
Answered (Verified) DD5 replied on Thu, Sep 8 2011 7:42 AM
Verified by Wheylous

As a somewhat [relative] veteran poster (who also greatly appreciates the Mises Institute) let me just say this.   They killed their forum!   This forum use to actually work and was the most interesting, busy and thriving forum on economics and libertarian thought on the Web. There was a time when you had numerous posts per minute at some peak hours, it was hard to keep up.  There were many knowledgeable posters always ready to engage in conversation and debate with anyone.  It was a place you could actually rely on for information and solutions to complex problems on Austrian economics and libertarianism.   There were also many passive readers of this forum who actually believed it to be an interesting and a good source of information.

Now, I am always for change and upgrades into better products.  But in this respect, they screwed up big times!  And I’m only saying this because they seem to be in denial about this.  Can you imagine a restaurant losing so many current customers and potential new ones due to drastic changes and still be in business insisting that you just have to be patient? Perhpas they think that the customers just don't understand or appreciate the new technology and all the hard work put into it. It is the customer's fault!   If this was a for profit service, they would be forced to change their ways already yesterday or today there would be no more forum at all; old or new.

• | Post Points: 55
Top 10 Contributor
6,953 Posts
Points 118,135

DD5:
Can you imagine a restaurant losing so many current customers and potential new ones due to drastic changes and still be in business insisting that you just have to be patient? Perhpas they think that the customers just don't understand or appreciate the new technology and all the hard work put into it. It is the customer's fault!   If this was a for profit service, they would be forced to change their ways already yesterday or today there would be no more forum at all; old or new.

I think you're on to something there.

Top 10 Contributor
Male
6,885 Posts
Points 121,845
Suggested by Wibee

@DD5: Hear! Hear! mises.org has really blown it this time. I will not be transitioning to the new forums. I can't even log in from work, there's some cookie setting in WordPress that is incompatible with my company's network settings. I've put in a few posts in my time and my posts tend to be longer and more substantial than the average. And I'm far from the only one - many of our most valuable posters are fed up with the apathetic and capricious attitude of mises.org and will likely not transition to the new forums. This is mises.org's loss.

Clayton -

http://voluntaryistreader.wordpress.com
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS