Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

European Court Rules that Publishers Can't Stop You From Reselling Digital Games

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 370
nomar Posted: Thu, Jul 5 2012 4:45 PM

Official document: http://curia.europa.eu/jcms/upload/docs/application/pdf/2012-07/cp120094en.pdf

What do you guys think will happen? These companies will simply stop to act in the European Union? They will "adapt"?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,987
Points 89,490

These companies will simply stop to act in the European Union?

Generally, I don't think you'll find many people here who would agree to the idea that removing IP protections will slow down the market. Then again, certain industries are likely inflated in some ways due to the monopoly grants, and they might deflate if the protections are removed.

I do doubt that the companies will stop doing business there, though. There are already companies which specifically publish DRM-free material.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

I think they will move toward service models. Subscriptions and online passes.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,612
Points 29,515

So, when will U.S. courts follow suit? And when will Steam allow me to resell my digital purchases??

I want an answer NOW!!

The customers who trade their license in to Green Man Gaming must first deactivate their game code.

"I got Dead Island from there.  Anyone want it?  ten bucks? 'This game connot be traded in.'

Starcraft II for sale, get your Starcraft II.  MultiPlayer barely used!"

EDIT: Oh I get it.  I get it.  Developers can still prevent you from reselling their games...

"The Fed does not make predictions. It makes forecasts..." - Mustang19
  • | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS