Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Fractional Reserve and Property Rights

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 417 Replies | 12 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Male
260 Posts
Points 6,815
Individualist posted on Fri, Jun 12 2009 9:40 PM

I must admit that I've never understood the clain that two individuals claim the same property under fractional-reserve banking. Will someone explain this to me? One is the debtor, right?

"Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under."  - H. L. Mencken

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Maxliberty:
Just take the contract you signed and replace the government guarantee with a private insurance policy. Is that contract ok?

well the contract is ok because in my case with the bank I use ,there is no mention of me making a loan, they merely hold my money and allow me to spend from the current, and they pay me interest on my savings account. as such i make a bailment to them of my money. this was never a point of dispute. I know what a loan agreement wou,d look like if they sent me one so i could borrow from them, and i certainly didnt send them one of those. so im not sure how it helps you make your point.

now how about you stipulate a contract for consideration ?

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
1,239 Posts
Points 29,060

nirgrahamUK:

Maxliberty:
Just take the contract you signed and replace the government guarantee with a private insurance policy. Is that contract ok?

well the contract is ok because in my case with the bank I use ,there is no mention of me making a loan, they merely hold my money and allow me to spend from the current, and they pay me interest on my savings account. as such i make a bailment to them of my money. this was never a point of dispute. I know what a loan agreement wou,d look like if they sent me one so i could borrow from them, and i certainly didnt send them one of those. so im not sure how it helps you make your point.

now how about you stipulate a contract for consideration ?

You need to read your contract again. More denial of reality. I have stated this about ten times in various threads. Take the Jimmy Stewart scene out of "It's a Wonderful Life" when they have a bank run.....Lets start with that contract.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,124 Posts
Points 37,405

Maxliberty:

Austrians wish to prohibit the ability to convert assets to meet redemptions thus making mixed commodity banks impossible. Perhaps you don't agree with the Austrian theory.... I apologize if I misunderstood you.

Please quote some sources to verify this Austrian theory, as I've never seen any thing close to such an idea from Austrians. I've already asked you before, perhaps you are just plain lying though.

"I am an aristocrat. I love liberty, I hate equality."
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Maxliberty:
.Lets start with that contract.

i wish you would. you never do. i asked you to and you havent yet. but im a patient man. feel free to take your time over it. any job worth doing is worth doing right...

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 25 Contributor
3,011 Posts
Points 47,070

Maxliberty:
Austrians
No, they do not. Please stop trying to substitute your lies and strawmen for facts, Max. It's old.

Top 25 Contributor
3,011 Posts
Points 47,070

Maxliberty:
Are you now in favor of permiting conversion of assets to meet redemptions? Or are you just upset at the contradictions in your arguement?
We're just bored by your lies and strawmen.

Top 50 Contributor
2,491 Posts
Points 43,390

Where does it say it is a bailment?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
396 Posts
Points 5,565

""If I deposit money into a bank, in a savings accout, that gains average interest, with the stipulation that I may remove my money at any time, have I agreed to make my money inaccessible?""

a communicated and understood amount of money would probobly be more accurate since the fed notes are fungible in nature.

if i understand the deposit scheme correctly (and if its true to begin with) the 10 percent reserve ratio for banks with (i dont even know is they use the term demand on accounts anymore) deposit accounts...i guess the bank is holding 10 percent of the account-balance in a physical amount of paper(dollar) and coin money ( in cash drawers and a vault i assume)...the remaining 90 percent of account-balance money is (hoped for repayment) dollar-credit of the loan made by the bank from the deposit.  i dont know if there is a difference if it is a check or physical cash deposit  

is this correct?

what does a bank have to do satisfy cash demands beyond the 10 percent (or wahtever hypothetical reserve ratio) if  numerous  depositors demand physical cash not held with a bank company?

ask a few other banks for physical cash and hope for the best?  

go to a governement agency and ask for a insta-print of the amount of cash necessary to meet customer demand?

sell imported brass railings in the main branch on ebay for some quick cash to satisfy demand?

have talented tellers to desk dances charging cash admission for cash raising?

i am not sure.  i guess if one knows that the bank cannot meet all cash demands its up to the individual whether to let the bank loan  out (a lot of) their deposited cash in order to spend  bank-cash-credit  with a check or debi-carrd.

i have just called it an operational falsehood because what ones account balance (the amount of cash and credi-cash?) says in "$" terms is not what the bank actually has...unless the symbol "$" means a little bit of cash on hand but not all on demand.

i wish they would say that on deposit contracts.

clarificati0n appreciated

Top 25 Contributor
3,011 Posts
Points 47,070

scineram:
Where does it say it is a bailment?
More legal positivism? Didn't you learn your lesson about that already?

Top 150 Contributor
Male
754 Posts
Points 11,800

sthomper:

ask a few other banks for physical cash and hope for the best?  

go to a governement agency and ask for a insta-print of the amount of cash necessary to meet customer demand?

That is what happens.....

It sounds like the ocean, smells like fresh mountain air, and tastes like the union of peanut butter and chocolate. ~Liberty Student

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

Maxliberty:
Austrians wish to prohibit the ability to convert assets to meet redemptions thus making mixed commodity banks impossible

Max, two points:

1. Austrians don't wish to do anything, Austrian economics is strictly value free. Perhaps Rothbardian libertarians wish to prohibit FRB, but Austrian economists qua economists don't advocate anything.
  2. Not all Austrians do wish to prohibit FRB. I wouldn't call myself an Austrian economist (not yet at least) but I do adhere largely to the teachings of the Austrian school, and I am pro - FRB. Similarly, Horwitz, Garrison, White and Selgin may all be considered Austrians and yet all of them have written pro - FRB articles and books.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,113 Posts
Points 60,515

What? No. How can you consider yourself and Austrian and be pro FRB? The creation of fiduciary media, and the suppression of the market rate of interest below the natural rate is what creates the boom-bust cycle. The only way to stop this cycle would be to stop FRB.

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,113 Posts
Points 60,515

It's pretty obvious that the author of this post isn't looking for an answer, but rather a fight.

"If we wish to preserve a free society, it is essential that we recognize that the desirability of a particular object is not sufficient justification for the use of coercion."

Top 50 Contributor
2,491 Posts
Points 43,390

Esuric:

What? No. How can you consider yourself and Austrian and be pro FRB? The creation of fiduciary media, and the suppression of the market rate of interest below the natural rate is what creates the boom-bust cycle. The only way to stop this cycle would be to stop FRB.

Go out and educate yourself to find the answer!

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,124 Posts
Points 37,405

Esuric:

FRB isn't quite the same without legal tender laws and central banks propping it up...

"I am an aristocrat. I love liberty, I hate equality."
Page 14 of 28 (418 items) « First ... < Previous 12 13 14 15 16 Next > ... Last » | RSS