Showing related tags and posts for the Forums application. See all tags in the site
  • Fractional Reserve Banking really inflationary?

    So fractional reserve banking is simply a mix of full reserve banking and savings and loans banks. Banks keep some reserves say 10% and loan out the other 90%, then the money loaned is spent within the economy, redeposited and the process repeats. In full-reserve banking the deposits are simply stored...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Lawrence on Thu, Jun 10 2010
  • Re: Questions regarding 100 percent reserve banking

    Please allow me to get back on the topic. "(Selgin: ) I don't think you can have read, for example, my article "In Defense of Bank Suspension," whioch addresses the question of how nt banks can contractually handle mass runs. But in any event, why suppose that a banking system isn't...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Peter Sidor on Wed, May 12 2010
  • Having the state raise the reserve requirement to 100%...

    Could this be a step in the right direction? We are assuming a fiat monetary system here. How would this effect the system if it were implemented today?
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Kenneth on Sat, Mar 27 2010
  • how does defaulting on debt affect money supply?

    If you default on debt why does the money supply contract? If I borrow $100 from the central bank, then spend it into the economy and then tell the central bank I default, I can't pay the money back, than that is $100 extra in the system that will never be taken out. Correct? If I had paid the money...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Lawrence on Thu, Mar 11 2010
  • Free Market Fractional Reserve banking

    Was Rothbard opposed to fractional reserve banking in its entirety or is he only against fractional reserve banking by a state central bank? There's a lecture by Jeff Hummel entitled "Why fractional reserve banking is more libertarian than the gold standard". Is the disagreement just with...
    Posted to History (Forum) by Kenneth on Sun, Jan 31 2010
  • Is Robert Murphy wrong? [SOLVED] Hint: No

    OK, so the title is somewhat of an unfair attention grabber, pardon me on that. This is in relation to the video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZf3Qye0BtQ in which Robert Murphy talks about how the balance in the checking account the banks have at the FED has increased from $45 billion to $829...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Gautham Anil on Wed, Dec 30 2009
  • Need Major Intro. Questions answered!!!!!

    Ever since the begginning of the latest school year I have really tryed to start getting into politics and what not. Economics is the hardest concept for me to understand yet. Last year I took a Civics and Economics class which didn't really teach me a thing. I've been reading this book "End...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by jaredsmith on Wed, Dec 30 2009
  • Basic banking question

    I've spent considerable time and effort to try and understand precisely how banks can currently create money. One issue that arises--if banks have such a good deal, why doesn't everyone with a few million dollars to invest go out and start one? I would appreciate it if those with intimate knowledge...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by luftmensch on Sun, Oct 18 2009
  • Elementary Econ. Questions

    I just finished the lecture course by Peter Klein and Joe Salerno, the Causal-Realist Approach to Economics, and the last lecture on banking and the business cycle was very fascinating. However, I was confused when Mr. Salerno said that the costs go up in the capital goods industry. Firstly, bank reserves...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by Savannah Liston on Sat, Oct 3 2009
  • Interest Rates and elimination of fractional-reserve banking

    I just read a section of a report issued by Ron Paul on the gold standard, in which he made the point that interest rates during the 1800s were between 3 and 5 percent, while the developed world was on the gold standard, and that this was a realistic number for rates to fall to. However, if 100%-reserve...
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by prr on Fri, Sep 25 2009
Page 3 of 9 (87 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »