  • Re: Foodstamps Help You Eat Right. . . .

    Food Stamps (now in the form of a credit card to reduce the stigma of the handout) tend to be used to buy a lot of junk food that can sit on a shelf indefinitely as opposed to fresh meats and vegetables. I've seen this a lot. Folks will buy what's cheap even if there's a hand out. Rather than get better quality food, they'll just get
    Posted to General (Forum) by K.C. Farmer on Thu, May 31 2012
  • Re: Do You Think Nation States will be around in 50 years?

    Yes, because the state is an effective way of using force against others, and a nation state does this on a grander scale. Will all nation states be around in 50 years? No. Will some other nation states be around in 50 years? Absolutely.
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by K.C. Farmer on Thu, May 31 2012
  • Re: The Hunger Games: War Propaganda 101

    If it was just satire, then I might see how the OP could come up with the wrong conclusion. But this movie was direct, in your face anti-war and more specifically anti-conscription. Biggest risk I see in misinterpretation is an assumption this has to do with rich vs. poor or as an attack on capitalism. I expect some to make that argument, but there's
    Posted to Political Theory (Forum) by K.C. Farmer on Mon, Mar 26 2012
  • Re: My Thoughts on the Iowa caucuses

    While I agree that it would be great for Ron Paul to give a foreign policy speech, I fear the American public is just too deeply entrenched into the Pax Americana mindset - especially in the GOP. Anyone even questioning that mindset is declared a heretic. That's pretty tough for Ron Paul the candidate to overcome, and is a major reason libertarian
    Posted to General (Forum) by K.C. Farmer on Wed, Jan 4 2012
  • Re: My Thoughts on the Iowa caucuses

    Stream of consciousness - sorry for the wordiness. NH appears to be going for Romney. Not sure what kind of percentages Huntsman is looking for to stay in the race, but I figure if he doesn't win or come in second with a strong showing then he's probably out. Just don't see the money going his way if he doesn't show well in a more favorable
    Posted to General (Forum) by K.C. Farmer on Wed, Jan 4 2012
  • Re: My Thoughts on the Iowa caucuses

    I think we're seeing an attempt by the GOP insiders to funnel Tea Party voters toward Mitt Romney as the only "reasonable" option. Romney has been the GOP insiders guy whether they like him as a candidate or not - at least he's pliable to their interests. They, GOP insiders and their media counterparts, are attempting to position Ron
    Posted to General (Forum) by K.C. Farmer on Wed, Jan 4 2012
  • Re: *** December 2011 low content thread ***

    You know, the more time the other speakers get in debates the worse they appear. Perhaps the media and debate hosts are unintentionally helping Ron Paul by letting other candidates say really stupid things. Biggest fear Republicans seem to have right now is that Ron Paul would break off as a third party candidate, which to them would mean practically
    Posted to General (Forum) by K.C. Farmer on Tue, Dec 13 2011
  • Re: What happens to those who are dependent on the system?

    And to clarify, going from one state (a federal government) to another state (such as California or Texas) isn't really leaving the realm of statehood toward a free, voluntary society. The question becomes how does the limitation of the federal government impact those who are dependent on the federal government? The answer then would be the state
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by K.C. Farmer on Thu, Dec 8 2011
  • Re: What happens to those who are dependent on the system?

    A rising tide lifts all ships... Being dependent is not at all a good position to be in regardless of the system. The question is also way too general. Each individual may be dependent in ways much different from another. Worst case: The Human Vegetable - a person with no way of caring for themselves and is at the mercy of others for survival. Even
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by K.C. Farmer on Thu, Dec 8 2011
  • Re: Reasons there will not be a meltdown

    Depends on the statistics you're using. If you go by the official statistics reported by the government, then you're talking around 9% unemployment. If you look at the statistics, like Government Shadow Stats, then we are already over 20% unemployment. At what point do people declare the situation to be "bad"? Meltdown in terms of
    Posted to Economics Questions (Forum) by K.C. Farmer on Thu, Dec 8 2011
Page 2 of 50 (493 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | More Search Options