Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

There's a class struggle - are you in the right class?

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert Posted: Thu, Jan 21 2010 11:57 PM

More online nonsense led to this.  I'm not going to post in full.

Them: Class struggle is liberation.

Me: That would make sense if you could objectively define a rigid class grid. I wonder which class I'm in...

Them: Working class and capitalists antagonizing. Then we have the wavering petite bourgeoisie and the lumpen proletariat.

Working class - no means of production just sell ability to work.
Capitalists - own the means of production (80% of Canadian economy).
Petite bourgeois - small scale farmers employing no one, or small scale business owners.

Lumpens - gangsters, pimps, prostitutes, homeless people etc.

This led me to think of something I have not really thought of.  Not all of them, but is the communist envious of the ownership of production or the economic status?  If I go by this criteria, you are not a capitalist unless you own the means of production, and only the means of production.  That all levels of work in between are still not capitalist.

Also, under that, an engineer who makes 250,000+ a year is still "working class" and in the same league with a janitor.  While that engineer doesn't own the "means of production" he is designing what could be produced.  If you follow a trail of the means of production, to produce a product might be production, but to produce the products to produce those products that produce products in themselves is a trail of production.  If a welder helps build a ship is he part of the owners of production in producing the product, or a working class laborer?  (Even though if you're a good enough welder you can make 250,000+)

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

Envy, yeah, look for the ugliest kid in class, there's your commie.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Male
Posts 2,051
Points 36,080
Bert replied on Fri, Jan 22 2010 12:02 AM

Jon Irenicus:

Envy, yeah, look for the ugliest kid in class, there's your commie.

When I look back to high school this hypothesis proves correct.

I had always been impressed by the fact that there are a surprising number of individuals who never use their minds if they can avoid it, and an equal number who do use their minds, but in an amazingly stupid way. - Carl Jung, Man and His Symbols
Top 10 Contributor
Male
Posts 5,255
Points 80,815
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

It's a crude generalisation... but the latte-sipping, iPhone brandishing dimwits tend to be the "cool" kids who try to one-up their peers by being "socially responsible" by being left-liberal (i.e. hugely irresponsible), probably because doing that is in line with that the propagandist in charge of 'educating' them taught them is the 'accepted' thing to believe &c. The true commies i.e. those you cannot convert stem from envy mostly imo. We're all envious, some people just turn it into a religion of hatred.

Freedom of markets is positively correlated with the degree of evolution in any society...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,485
Points 22,155
Kakugo replied on Fri, Jan 22 2010 3:43 AM

Do not underestimate the lasting effects of Marxism.

I personally believe there's a class struggle going on, and that's an all out war against the middle class waged by top classes with full back up from the plebs. Yes, I come from the left end of the political spectrum in case you haven't noticed... Wink

Together we go unsung... together we go down with our people
Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

The facade of Marxist 'Class Struggle'

It seems like whenever someone brings up a topic concerning Marxism, I can dig up old posts about it. Cool

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 249
Points 3,450
hugolp replied on Fri, Jan 22 2010 6:45 AM

And if you want even more ambiguity ask him what it is "means of production". Ask him if the computer I have at home is a mean of production or not.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 3,592
Points 63,685
Sieben replied on Fri, Jan 22 2010 7:32 AM

Don't the proletariats own a lot more now than they did back then? Is my daily lifestyle really so much different from Bill Gates? We both get enough food, stay warm, have friends, have entertainment, have shelter... So what if he eats a $50 steak every night? It's not *that* big a deal.

Banned
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,011
Points 47,070

It's always about assigning blame to someone else because you (the whiner-in-question, that is, not Bert) couldn't possibly have anything to do with it. It must be the person with a penny more than you. Or the blacks. Or the jews. It's always Someone Else's Fault. Someone Else Who Has More Than You.

If you ever really want to watch a commie go rabid-foaming mad and pout, just let the commie know that s/he is simply jealous of those with a penny more. Watch the fireworks. It's fun knowing you've pinpointed their rage.

Not Ranked
Male
Posts 60
Points 1,500
Mike replied on Fri, Jan 22 2010 8:45 AM

The real class struggle is between the political class and the productive class.  Workers and capitalists are on the same team, even if they don't always realize it.  Their interests coincide, and what policies advance the one also advance the other.

Top 25 Contributor
Male
Posts 4,850
Points 85,810

Mike:

The real class struggle is between the political class and the productive class.  Workers and capitalists are on the same team, even if they don't always realize it.  Their interests coincide, and what policies advance the one also advance the other.

Adolphe Blanqui:

In all the revolutions, there have always been but two parties opposing each other; that of the people who wish to live by their own labor, and that of those who would live by the labor of others…. Patricians and plebeians, slaves and freemen, guelphs and ghibellines, red roses and white roses, cavaliers and roundheads, liberals and serviles, are only varieties of the same species.

'Men do not change, they unmask themselves' - Germaine de Stael

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS