Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Undermining the State: One Lemonade Market at Time?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
350 Posts
Points 5,405
kiba posted on Tue, Nov 4 2008 11:52 AM

Well, there is a government built park in my vincity and there alway seem to be a lot of people(and kids) there all the time.

I was thinking of getting supplies for making lemonade and set up shop there during the summertime. I was also thinking of exchanging lemonade not with state currencies but with aluminimum cans.
(The advantage of aluminum cans is that it can be crushed to be portable, convertible to US dollars, divisible, and easily found)

The idea is to encourage kids to gather up the aluminum cans(which are valuables) so that they can get some lemonade. It might also inspires kids to compete with me?

The risk is of course, is that they will start exchanging in US Dollars or maybe the police will crash in on the party?

http://libregamewiki.org - The world's only encyclopedia on free(as in freedom) gaming.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Male
4,985 Posts
Points 90,430

For some reason I don't see Catallaxy Coke, Liberty Lemonade, Free Market Fanta and Anarchist Apple Juice as bringing down the state..

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows"

Bob Dylan

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
350 Posts
Points 5,405
kiba replied on Tue, Nov 4 2008 12:12 PM

Why not?

http://libregamewiki.org - The world's only encyclopedia on free(as in freedom) gaming.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
297 Posts
Points 4,060

kiba:

The risk is of course, is that they will start exchanging in US Dollars or maybe the police will crash in on the party?

Most likely, you would be fined for operating a business in the park without a license, and shut down.  If you really want to make a splash, that might be okay.  Otherwise, it would be better to either seek permission or seek a location where they cannot prohibit you. 

The idea of taking aluminum cans sounds like a good one, though, and if you do seek permission, they might allow it on some kind of environmental basis, or some such nonsense.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,221 Posts
Points 34,050

macsnafu:

kiba:

Most likely, you would be fined for operating a business in the park without a license, and shut down.  If you really want to make a splash, that might be okay.  Otherwise, it would be better to either seek permission or seek a location where they cannot prohibit you. 

The idea of taking aluminum cans sounds like a good one, though, and if you do seek permission, they might allow it on some kind of environmental basis, or some such nonsense.

I see very little risk if neither Federal Reserve Notes or gold/silver are not used.  The costs of conducting such a business & being successful would be far more worrying than persecution by Statist agents.

"Look at me, I'm quoting another user to show how wrong I think they are, out of arrogance of my own position. Wait, this is my own quote, oh shi-" ~ Nitroadict

Top 10 Contributor
7,105 Posts
Points 115,240
ForumsAdministrator
SystemAdministrator

so, how much lemonade can i get for an aluminum can?

Where there is no property there is no justice; a proposition as certain as any demonstration in Euclid

Fools! not to see that what they madly desire would be a calamity to them as no hands but their own could bring

Top 500 Contributor
350 Posts
Points 5,405
kiba replied on Tue, Nov 4 2008 3:48 PM

I would hope that they turn a blind eye since I was taking alumninum cans. They might think "This is an environmental nonprofit charity" or something rather thinking greedy entrepneurs avoiding taxation.

If on the off-chance that I do get arrested, I need someone to upload a youtube video and spread the news across the internet. It'll be a good headline too. "ANARCHIST ARRESTED FOR TRYING TO SELL LEMONADE" or something like that.

Top 500 Contributor
138 Posts
Points 3,600

I don't think kids are gonna pick up aluminum cans for lemonade...

Top 500 Contributor
350 Posts
Points 5,405
kiba replied on Tue, Nov 4 2008 5:22 PM

CaptainMurphy:

Then what do kids like?

Top 100 Contributor
Male
946 Posts
Points 15,410

kiba:

CaptainMurphy:

Then what do kids like?

1. Video games

2. Unhealthy food

3. Weeing in the shower

Pro Christo et Libertate integre!

Top 500 Contributor
350 Posts
Points 5,405
kiba replied on Tue, Nov 4 2008 7:32 PM

MacFall:

kiba:

CaptainMurphy:

Then what do kids like?

1. Video games

2. Unhealthy food

3. Weeing in the shower

MacFall:

kiba:

CaptainMurphy:

Then what do kids like?

1. Video games

2. Unhealthy food

3. Weeing in the shower

I am a game programming hobbyist. Maybe I could rent out games on gaming machines featuring my games?

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS