Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Self-employment rates prior to (and during) the 20th Century

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 80
ScuzzaDog posted on Tue, Jul 13 2010 5:14 PM

HI.

Walter Block suggested I ask this here:

I've been challenged on a contention I made publicly that self-employed people outnumbered employed (i.e. wage earners) prior to 1900.

As of today I cannot find the original article I read that in, and so I'm in a bit of a bind.

Does anyone here have some good sources for such data?

Thanks in Advance

SD

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Male
3,592 Posts
Points 63,685
Answered (Not Verified) Sieben replied on Tue, Jul 13 2010 5:44 PM
Suggested by liberty student

This is probably not as far back as you wanted, but the bls had this.

Honestly... the vast majority of agriculture jobs are self employed... your opponents have got to be really rude to not accept that kind of data, which should be easy to find.

Banned
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
1,649 Posts
Points 28,420
Thousands of employees and percent of total.        
  Employment 1900 Employment 2000 Percent 1900 Percent 2000
Agriculture 11,680 3,281 43.5 2.4
Goods 7,252 25,710 27.0 18.8
Services 6,832 85,370 25.4 62.5
Government 1,094 22,131 4.1 16.2
Total 26,858 136,492 100.0 100.0
Source: Bureau of the Census, Historical Statistics of the United States, Washington, DC, 1975 (for 1900 data); Bureau of Labor Statistics and Bureau of the Census for data on the 2000 structure of employment.

That isn't conclusive but 50%+ seems safe. source

Democracy means the opportunity to be everyone's slave.—Karl Kraus.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 80

Thanks. I used that paper, but my challenger would not accept that the trend continued backwards on the same trajectory without further evidence.

C'est la vie.

Top 50 Contributor
1,649 Posts
Points 28,420

Trend and trajectory? Huh? 4% of people were employed by government in 1900. Based on what you originally said, that is all we need to know strictly.

Sometimes people just aren't intellectually honest at all, get used to it.

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 80

I'm very used to it.

I really wanted to demonstrate it.

Thanks again.

Top 50 Contributor
1,649 Posts
Points 28,420

You're welcome. If there is anything else to do I'm sure we'll help. GL

Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,899 Posts
Points 37,230

Could not a person work for a farmer?

I think to make the claim that "the vast majority of agriculture is self-employment (source plz) and then to show an unrelated table that shows a lot of people working in agriculture, and to further make the claim that this PROVES that people used to be self-employed more... this is quite arrogant.

In States a fresh law is looked upon as a remedy for evil. Instead of themselves altering what is bad, people begin by demanding a law to alter it. ... In short, a law everywhere and for everything!

~Peter Kropotkin

Top 150 Contributor
Male
573 Posts
Points 9,410

I know absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence and what-not, but the assumption that pre-industrialized agricultural workers were not "employees" for a factory farm, seems pretty intuitive.  You can only do so much when the data you're looking for was never collected.

On the other hand, If the majority of agriculture was consolidated, it seems like that should be a very easy to prove.

============================

David Z

"The issue is always the same, the government or the market.  There is no third solution."

Top 50 Contributor
Male
1,899 Posts
Points 37,230

Farmhands go back a very long time, and are not always children of the farmer, nor mostly.  Even in feudal times free yeoman would work on a lord's farms. But that is not the issue.

The most basic definition for an employee is the employer has some say over the workers day-to-day operations, while the self-employed are more free in their ability to operate.

To make the claim that all farmhands are and have always been self-employed, then to show a chart saying a lot of people work farms, therefore people were more often self-employed in aggrarian societies, is a fallacy based on an unsubstantiated claim.  A valid logical argument, but a fallacy all the same.

In States a fresh law is looked upon as a remedy for evil. Instead of themselves altering what is bad, people begin by demanding a law to alter it. ... In short, a law everywhere and for everything!

~Peter Kropotkin

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS