Free Capitalist Network - Community Archive
Mises Community Archive
An online community for fans of Austrian economics and libertarianism, featuring forums, user blogs, and more.

Do you believe in market failure?

Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 130 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,249 Posts
Points 29,610
Lagrange multiplier posted on Sun, Aug 1 2010 3:18 PM

Do you believe in market failure?

I do.

"I'm not a fan of Murray Rothbard." -- David D. Friedman

• | Post Points: 200

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Male
871 Posts
Points 15,025

Epicurus:
Actually, I believe the assumption was that the chargers were a superior force and would surely crush them.

No, that wasn't the example.  If everyone stood their ground, planted the pikes, the horses would impale themselves and they could then have a fighting chance.  If they ran, they would be hunted down like rats. 

The point is that each example Friedman provides to demonstrate "market failure" actually demonstrates nothing. 

"The market is a process." - Ludwig von Mises, as related by Israel Kirzner.   "Capital formation is a beautiful thing" - Chloe732.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Male
796 Posts
Points 14,585

Neoclassical, I'm not an Austrian, but I know of at least one market failure that most anarcho-capitalists would agree is very important and very real:

the inability of markets to prevent the formation of states.

Luckily, entrepreneurs have a long and glorious history of solving market failures, so not all is lost. BTW, the secret to beating market failures may lie in the Folk Theorem.

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Male
871 Posts
Points 15,025

@Neoclassical,

Does this accurately summarize your position?

1) ABCT is refuted by rational expectations theory (you reject capital theory and the structure of production).

2) Unhampered markets are not "optimal" because of the "market failure" hypothesis (you do not accept the observation that the market is a process).

"The market is a process." - Ludwig von Mises, as related by Israel Kirzner.   "Capital formation is a beautiful thing" - Chloe732.

Top 100 Contributor
Male
796 Posts
Points 14,585

Unhampered markets are not "optimal" because of the "market failure" hypothesis (you do not accept the observation that the market is a process).

If by "optimal" you mean utopia, then it is true that unhampered markets are not "optimal". Also, some feasible market setups will fall prey to the logic of the one-shot prisoner's dilemma, so the market participants will get an net outcome that is worse than a possible net outcome (but which would be irrational for any single individual to choose). The problem with the standard conception of market failure is not that one-shot prisoner's dilemma never happens, but to assume that government is not susceptible to the same problem (which it most certainly is).

Market failure does exist, but government failure is both more probable and more dangerous.

"I cannot prove, but am prepared to affirm, that if you take care of clarity in reasoning, most good causes will take care of themselves, while some bad ones are taken care of as a matter of course." -Anthony de Jasay

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
280 Posts
Points 5,590
Zavoi replied on Mon, Aug 2 2010 12:47 AM

Solid_Choke:
the inability of markets to prevent the formation of states.

Here's my theory about this: This an instance of the general type of market failure known as "lock-in" or "path-dependence," where an equilibrium is achieved which no individual has an incentive to deviate from, even though most people would prefer that the equilibrium be elsewhere. Some economic examples include the continued use of fiat currency even as its value is being leached away by the state, and the formation of asset bubbles (e.g., I can make money flipping houses even though I would rather that the resources not be wasted building houses). Just as a money-printing state can extract seigniorage from the people, relying on the "lock-in" phenomenon to prevent the currency from being immediately discarded, similarly, a state can extract "legal seigniorage" by skewing legal norms in its own favor in such a way that people would still rather refer their disputes to the state than be left in a condition of lawlessness.

Compare the "activation energy" in chemistry. While small barriers are overcome all the time (any time someone organizes a firm), large macro-scale barriers such as those constraining the monetary or legal system may require a shift to a much higher "energy" level (e.g., hyperinflation or government collapse) in order to be overcome.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,552 Posts
Points 46,640
AJ replied on Mon, Aug 2 2010 4:18 AM

@David Friedman via Neoclassical: "It is sometime in the 12th century, somewhere in Europe, and I am one of a line of men with spears, on foot, facing another bunch of men on horseback with spears moving rapidly in our direction.  I make a rapid cost benefit calculation.  If we all stand, we might break their charge. If we run, we die. I should stand. 

The mistake I have just made is the word ≥we≤.  I only  control me, and  I am only one spearman out of several thousand. If everybody else stands and I run, my running has little effect on whether their charge is stopped--and I won't be one of the men who dies stopping it. If everybody else runs and I stand, I die. So whether the rest of the line is going to run or stand, I should run.  Everybody else in the line makes the same calculation.  We all run and most of us die.

Welcome to the dark side of rationality.

This is an example of market failure: a situation where each individual correctly chooses the action that best accomplishes his objectives, yet the result is worse, in terms of those same objectives, than if everyone had done something else."

Markets do fail when they haven't had time to establish themselves; when they aren't yet "markets" at all. Yet so do governments.

The time required to form a non-coercive "market" agreement in the Braveheart-like scenario above could have been 10 seconds taken in advance to simply explain to everyone the logic on why "we should all stand" in the event of an enemy charge.

Markets, common-law systems, symbiotic relationships in the natural world, and every other emergent natural order takes time to form.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,943 Posts
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Suggested by Aquila

The Myth of Market Failures - Tibor Machman

Why Market Failure Fails - Michael S. Rozeff

There are no flights to Jupiter: Market Failure? - Manuel Lora

Why Markets Succeed and Governments Fail - Michael S. Rozeff

Market Failure Again? - Gene Callahan

The Market Failure Myth - D.W MacKenzie

The Myth of Market Failure - Christopher Wesley

Response to the "Market Failure" Drones - Thomas E. Woods

Has the Market Failed? - Sean Corrigan

Austrian Economics, Neoclassical economics, Marketing and Finance - Block, Barnett II, Wood

There is no such thing as market failure. The failure lies in the assumptions of economists. You "believe" in market failure, that's great - you're operating on FAITH. That is fail. On the otherhand, Austrians accept and operate on reality.

"Perfect competition" = lmao, that is failure of their models not the market!

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,289 Posts
Points 18,820
MaikU replied on Mon, Aug 2 2010 7:01 AM

And the quote by Tibor R. Machan (thanks Conza88 for the article) that sums up the whole this thread, in my opinion:

"There is no market failure in sight with any of this in evidence; all we have is some dissatisfaction, just as some of us are dissatisfied with the fact that no one matches our romantic aspirations, no one will play tennis with us or be our dance partner. Is that a failure of some sort of a free society, one in which one is forbidden to kidnap people so they might become one’s convenient associate?"

"Dude... Roderick Long is the most anarchisty anarchist that has ever anarchisted!" - Evilsceptic

(english is not my native language, sorry for grammar.)

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,943 Posts
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator
Suggested by Vitor

No worries MaikU. Continuing from that quote:

"Indeed, the beef about market failures is with life itself – not everything one would like to have is there for one to get. Is this a reason to shut down the free market and transform it into the far more inefficient, let alone unjust, statist system Galbraith and Co. desire? Not by a long shot."

And yet the OP says he's an anarcho-capitalist... so what is the point of this thread? Seems like it's nothing more than attempt at posturing? Or trying to point out that Austrians are "dogmatic" because they don't accept "market failure"?

Anyway - suggestion: OP go ....

Ron Paul is for self-government when compared to the Constitution. He's an anarcho-capitalist. Proof.
Top 200 Contributor
Male
458 Posts
Points 6,985
Suggested by Conza88

Neoclassical:
See! This sort of intellectual charlatanry is what made me so distrustful of Austrian economics, in general. Your ideology trumps your economics qua science.

Wow.  The man who won't define his terms accuses us of "intellectual charlatanry".

That's all.  I just came here to say, "wow" and give a brief explanation as to why I was so moved.  I'll be passing on now...

Every decent man is ashamed of the government he lives under - Mencken

Top 500 Contributor
283 Posts
Points 5,580
Suggested by Jon Irenicus

"Market failure" is like blaming gravity for people falling out of airplanes. If a guy falls from a ladder while painting his house, we might say it was "gravitational failure."

There is no way to discuss or identify alleged market failures without transforming economics into a normative science.  The "market" is simply a descriptive term for the exchange of goods and services, thus there can never be a market failure because if certain goods and services are not exchanged, then there is no market.  The concept of market failure is a clever device used to introduce political philosophy and social theory into economics while trying to remain objective through words like "efficiency."  The fact is, anyone who advocates a market "failure" is proceeding from a value judgment about what they would like to see in society, rather than analyzing the causes and effects of production and exchange.

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,249 Posts
Points 29,610

gocrew:
Wow.  The man who won't define his terms accuses us of "intellectual charlatanry".

That's all.  I just came here to say, "wow" and give a brief explanation as to why I was so moved.  I'll be passing on now...

I won't definte "my" terms because I haven't invented any neologisms.

Top 50 Contributor
Male
2,943 Posts
Points 49,130
SystemAdministrator

I won't definte "my" terms because I haven't invented any neologisms.

Nice dodge... but no-one in fact claimed you did.

“If you wish to converse with me,” said Voltaire, “define your terms.” How many a debate would have been deflated into a paragraph if the disputants had dared to define their terms! This is the alpha and omega of logic, the heart and soul of it, that every important term in serious discourse shall be subjected to the strictest scrutiny and definition. It is difficult, and ruthlessly tests the mind; but once done it is half of any task. Will Durant, The Story of Philosophy (Chapter 2, Aristotle and Greek Science, Part 3, The Foundation of Logic).

But really this is just another failure to define your terms. Doing so would mean you'd have to engage in debate, or serious discussion.. no? And be open to criticism. And yet that doesn't appear to be the point of this thread now is it?

Top 75 Contributor
Male
1,249 Posts
Points 29,610

laugh Once again, I did not introduce any neologisms, so all of my terms are being used traditionally. I do not expect to serve as a dictionary, nor do I consider this refusal a weakness in my argument.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Male
796 Posts
Points 14,585

The time required to form a non-coercive "market" agreement in the Braveheart-like scenario above could have been 10 seconds taken in advance to simply explain to everyone the logic on why "we should all stand" in the event of an enemy charge.

What would make this a Prisoner's Dilemma is that they actually do know that they "should all stand", but that they individually should still run while mostly everyone else stands.

Since Neoclassical won't define market failure (which is indeed a failure of honest discourse) I will provide one. Market failure is when the operatation of the market creates an allocation of goods and services that is inefficient. Inefficient, in this sense, can refer to Pareto efficiency, Marshallian efficiency, or Kaldor-Hicks efficiency. Neoclassical, do you agree with my definition?

Previous | Next
Page 4 of 9 (131 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS